The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best moderately priced bipods for deer hunting? Are they worth the money? Pros and Cons.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My dad had 2 Harris Bipods...1 on a 7mm Mag and 1 on .300WM. The one on the 7mm was the short one (Basically only for shooting from the prone position) The .300 had the long one that could also be used from sitting or kneeling.

I would say that the pro would be dead rock solid rest for long range shooting. The Con? For my hunting, Basically still-hunting and driving, It is in the way 95% of the time.

I took a doe at 325 yards across a field with the 7mm from the prone position. But that was the only time that it helped.

The Harris is a well made, quality piece of equiptment. That is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the portable bipods that fold up for carry possibly a decent alternative? Are they stable if they are not actually attached to the rifle stock?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have a harris 13-25in I will sell or trade to you

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i think i have either 4 or 5 harris bipods, one stays on my 300 rum and the rest just sit wait to be mounted for the day in the field then back off. i also use shooting sticks for long range shooting in the field if the bipod is to small, most of the time it is as its the smaller bipod.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Check out the Stoney Point swivel model at Cabelas.Very stable and they attach to your rifle thru an adapter in a second.You can purchase extra adapters for any gun you like and you only need one bipod for all your guns.Somebody else on here turned me on to them and they sound like what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I prefer the harris models and I find them rock steady, my dad prefers the stoney point rapid pivot bipod for ease off on/off and lets you adjust your shooting position easier.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
harris here...

you wont get the stability from shooting sticks that you do from a bipod...

the biggest problem is deciding if you want to shoot sitting or prone as 1 bi-pod rarely does both...forget the measurements on mine but its gotta go...too high for prone most of the time and too low to sit sometimes for me..i messed up when ordering it...

for my groundhog gun im likely going with a prone model...then order a sitting one just to have around for other needs...

i also dont understand the reasoning for pivoting ones...to me, that kinda defeats the purpose of having a bi-pod...i like my fixed one..if i need to rotate the rifle to get on target, im moving the rifle and bipod all together...i just dont understand why you would want one that you can move the rifle...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.