The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helping my dad look for a new 30.06 bolt action synthetic stock. He doesn't want to spend a lot though. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
If I were on a budget, I'd look at that Ruger American. My uncle won one in .30/06. Great rifle.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
TC Venture. There is a $75 rebate until the end of this month. The Dicks Sporting
Goods by me has them on sale for $380. With a $75 rebate, you are down to $305.

The Remington 783 would also be another option. The two I've shot have been very accurate. Grices has them on sale and with the $40 rebate, they end up at $260.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Ruger American is a good one for the cost. Another would be a Savage M110or111. Affordable, accurate, available.
I know the Rem710 is affordable, but IMO they are UGLY. However, the Rem710 is another one of your options when considering a best "bang for your buck" rifle.

I personally would go with the savage.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Getting a hair tougher to find, but a Stevens M200 I would consider too. I remeber when they first came out they where super cheap (maybe $250).

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
glock3540 said:
TC Venture. There is a $75 rebate until the end of this month. The Dicks Sporting
I was looking at these. Both Westmoreland Dicks only have the Dream Season edition. They are $559 on sale. Did you see them advertised somewhere?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen the Axis XP and 111. What's the big difference between the two? About $170 price difference.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The biggest dealer in Somerset county has the Ruger American for $350 and TC Venture for $489 or $414 after rebate. They said the Venture is a heavier built gun. I have yet to hold either though.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
DrewMc said:
glock3540 said:
I was looking at these. Both Westmoreland Dicks only have the Dream Season edition. They are $559 on sale. Did you see them advertised somewhere?
I was at the Dicks behind Westmoreland Mall and they had standard ones in 30/06 and 308

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
glock3540 said:
DrewMc said:
glock3540 said:
I was at the Dicks behind Westmoreland Mall and they had standard ones in 30/06 and 308
How long ago? Maybe they sold out. I just called today.

·
Registered
130 Posts
DrewMc said:
I've seen the Axis XP and 111. What's the big difference between the two? About $170 price difference.
There are various verisons but basically it came with upgraded glass (Nikon Prostaff Scope)and Accutrigger.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
DrewMc said:
glock3540 said:
DrewMc said:
glock3540 said:
How long ago? Maybe they sold out. I just called today.
Probably 4-5 days ago. I would see if they could order you one at that price. When I was there, they said they could but could not get me one in 270 WSM because their distributor did not have them in stock.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably 4-5 days ago. I would see if they could order you one at that price. When I was there, they said they could but could not get me one in 270 WSM because their distributor did not have them in stock.
I will check tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
On black friday you can get a remington 770 for 200 bucks with a scope at walmart and some other places.

I know I know...blah blah blah but lets face it, most shots at least for me are 150 yards and under and thats a stretch.

My cousin bought one because he was a new hunter and it feels chinsey, doesnt look as good as a 700 but it shot 1.5 groups consistently at 100 yards.

If you ask me, perfect for someone who just wants a rifle to use for 2 weeks out of the year....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts