The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Best area in eastern PA for first-timers

4K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Smtn10pt 
#1 ·
My wife and I are thinking about a spring gobbler hunt this year. This is our first year hunting and it will be our first time turkey hunting. We're thinking about staying in a cabin somewhere in eastern PA - maybe York/Lancaster county, Monroe/Pike County, or Susquehanna county. Would any of those be better or worse for turkey hunting?

#2 ·
Never hunted in eastern PA but if I was going to, I would head northeast and find some remote areas with gas wells. You can see them on the online maps. Then take a few days in early April and go scouting. You will have no problem hearing gobblers at that time. Then go hunt there the second or third week, work the first week. Don't expect to kill anything and just go have a good time and do a lot of walking on gas well roads and listen, listen, listen. Like being married you should listen a whole lot more than you talk. Hunt every day until noon, don't leave early and stay home on Saturdays if you need a day to rest.

That is just what I would do. It is a lot of work and some would say it isn't worth it for a 15 lb tough mountain bird but there is something about it that will make you want to come back. Oh, and spray for ticks and watch our for rattle snakes, almost forgot about that.

#8 ·
Their are turkey in SE PA, but not the flock we used to have. Hunting them on public land will be not only difficult, but you will have to compete with all the other hunters. It can be very frustrating. IMO head North like others have mentioned. You'll find some great SGL's in Wayne, Susquehanna, Wyoming, Sullivan, and Bradford Counties. A lot more birds and a lot more land. First and foremost start putting in your boot work in early mid April. Then you'll already have some knowledge of the area you'll be hunting and maybe knowledge about where the birds go and why.

#10 ·
w .philly ,once you scout and find your birds and their roost areas, make other trips back to scout your competition, if you're seeing them on public land, other hunters are seeing them too. This helps you to know what to expect and it may help you to determine a better strategy. And plan on scouting the week before the season opens, just after youth saturday, just to make sure the birds are still there and didnt fall to the sights of a well educated youth !! that happens, and good for them too. most important, have fun, thats what its all about !, Lonnie

#11 ·
Pike and Monroe Counties have tons of public land but I've never hunted there. I do hunt Susquehanna Co and there are lots of birds. I hunt private land but I know there are several pieces of state game lands. There is one right off I-81. It is either #175 or 035. Check the Game Commission site. The one I'm thinking of has thousands of acres. Good Luck.

#13 ·
There's a great bed and breakfast in Eagle's Mere,Pa.
Sullivan County. I've stayed at the Eagle's Mere Inn a few times long ago. Great food and it's in the middle of
more public land than you could possibly hunt in a
lifetime.

#15 ·
Matchman said:
You may also want to check out renting a cabin
at World's End State Park. Maybe a little more
economical with the kids.
Plenty of turkeys in Pike & Monroe too. Isn't there cabins at Promised Land SP to rent? Large SGL right there and a ton of SFL.

I saw a mounted 28# tom from Pike and have watched multiple gobblers walk by my camp beards draggin...the night b/4 opening day!

#16 ·
We wanted to take the dog with us which is why we didn't go for a state park. No kids because it's our anniversary trip! It's our 11th but we missed doing anything for our 10th so we wanted to take the time to get away together. We're real romantic, right, sitting out in the woods (probably in the rain because that week it always rains)
? We'll be in Hawley near SGL 183.

ETA: We just got our turkey call CD, too!

#17 ·
WestPhillyFam said:
We wanted to take the dog with us which is why we didn't go for a state park. No kids because it's our anniversary trip! It's our 11th but we missed doing anything for our 10th so we wanted to take the time to get away together. We're real romantic, right, sitting out in the woods (probably in the rain because that week it always rains)
? We'll be in Hawley near SGL 183.
Try SGL 316 near Hawley lots of land with good trails for run and gun.Turkeys are hit and miss scout and you will find.Two places come to mind in area to stay,Woodloch pines resort great place and is right next door to SGL 316 Family Friendly .Romantic place Cove Haven Resort , more for couples will not get to much hunting in if you decide to stay here.

ETA: We just got our turkey call CD, too!

#19 ·
Well you probably have one thing down. Those turkeys won't probably be at the cabin.
I've been in most of those counties, but not lately. So I'd be a lot like you.
On public land, I'd study the PGC and state forest maps on the internet.
And I'd get in enough pre-season walks to get in shape for hiking. And those turkeys won't lead you out of the woods, so make sure your woods roaming is comfortable. For years I used a compass. Now they've added GPS.

Finding turkeys can take you places you've never been before.

#20 ·
mus42tang said:
Well you probably have one thing down. Those turkeys won't probably be at the cabin.
I've been in most of those counties, but not lately. So I'd be a lot like you.
On public land, I'd study the PGC and state forest maps on the internet.
And I'd get in enough pre-season walks to get in shape for hiking. And those turkeys won't lead you out of the woods, so make sure your woods roaming is comfortable. For years I used a compass. Now they've added GPS.

Finding turkeys can take you places you've never been before.
There is a bunch of places to study on line. I look for the best way to get back in the corners of SFL & private areas.

A GPS w/ topo maps helps but you still need to get our a few mornings and be close to the 'spots' you found listening for gobbles.

Working public land you need to be ready to avoid other hunters, have two or three 'spots to hunt.

#21 ·
West Philly Mike said:
We're looking at a place to stay in Pike County. You say it's better a little further west?

We'll probably only get one weekend, so this may end up being more of a "scouting for next year" trip. Does anyone know of guides in the area that we could contact?
Mike,We have a cabin in Pike co and see lots of turkeys.Theres lots of State Forest land to hunt on too.

#23 ·
West Philly Folks(Mike & Fam),
Scout to: Find Food= Find Hens = Find Gobblers
Also cruise the trails and ridges to locate roost areas.
LISTEN.LISTEN,LISTEN EARLY and Late to locate roost areas.
Check out several spots on public land so you can move if it gets too crowded!!
Good Luck!!
Smage

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.