The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first AR-15 and don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to stay around $1,000.00. I am planning to get a 16" barrel. I will be shooting at coyotes (hopefully) out to about 250 yards (out of state) so maybe I should go with a longer barrel? Any recommendations on brand, model, barrel length?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I I. Am in the market as well I was pretty much sold on the smith and wesson mp tactical but recently spikes tactical was reccomended after reading some reviews I think I'm going with the spikes in a midlengthfrom whar I've read both are prettyre
liable.

·
Registered
958 Posts
16" barrel will be fine, just have to find a load that it likes and groups well at 250.

With your price range you can get whatever you want short of a Colt and the other high end 'tactiacl' piston guns

Bushmaster, remington, stag any of the above will fit your bill.
If you were looking for a serious long range gun then I would say look at Match Grade rifles, but not for 250.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Go with Daniels Defense and never look back. Super accurate and you won't find one more reliable.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
BCM
Daniel Defense
Bushmaster
Colt
Spikes
Stag

All are well made AR's that will suit your needs.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Daniel Defense
Spikes
Colt
BCM

Pick one of these and roll with it! I personally have a Spikes.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have a Daniels Defense, DPMS, Bushmaster and I sold my R-15 last week. The DD is step above the others. I've never owned a Spikes Stag or BCM but I've heard good things about them. And I think we all know Colt's reputation in the Ar world.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Some of the more tactical geared shops in Lancaster will stock a few of those brands. I'd pass on the M&P and go with a Spikes, BCM, Palmetto State Armory, etc. Then use your gift cards for ammo from Cabelas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I Have an Olympic Arms currently and have owned colt's in the past. I think most of the brands mentioned here would serve you well. If your primary purpose is long range shooting I would definitely look at a longer barrel. although you might have a hard time staying under $1000 with a match grade 20" barrel. I don't know what your skill level is but most guns available today are very capable of 250yd accuracy in the hands of a practiced shooter. The issue is usaully what is behind the stock. The good news about the AR platform is the uppers and bolts are completely interchangable so going from a 16" .223 to a 20" 7.62x39 is only resticted by budget.(for the most part) Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions. My shooting ability is about average or slightly better. I expect most of my shooting to be within 100 yards but have some openings on my property where I could feasibly take a 300 yard+ shot. I am not intending to take long shots I just don't want to be limited too much by the gun. I spoke to a friend who's business is selling tactical gear and he gave me some good advice including buying another upper if I find I am taking really long shots (not likely).

I was looking at ammo and it seems to mostly be target ammo. I see a few hunting loads but what do people buy as self-defense or military loads? What type of bullet does the Army use? I don't expect to ever need them but part of the fun is preparing for a "Red Dawn" situation.

Finally, where can you get loads suitable for deer? I hunt in a state where .223 is a pretty popular hunting caliber for deer. I would never opt for .223 over my .30-06 for deer but bullets loaded for deer would probably be good self-defense loads if I can't find military bullets.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are alot of military type loads available. I shoot a lot of wolf ammo and it cycles well and is accurate enough for target shooting and "Red Dawn" Prep as long as you clean the gun well and regularly.(after every session) Most AR's (in my experience) need to be cleaned after every session to maintain shootability. During the days I shoot a lot I would keep a can of semi auto cleaner in my range gear and use it to clean the bolt and carrier in the middle of a daily session inorder to avoid jams with my colts. I haven't spent that kind of time on the range with my olympic arms. I have found the 55gr winchester ballistic tips to shoot and group well out of my olympic arms. The 64gr winchester superx powermax is a good whitetail round.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Two of mine love the American tactial 62 grain. And PMC bronze shoots pretty good to 55 grain. My other loves Tap. and so did the one I just sold. The R-15 loved the 55 grain and the DD loves the 75 grain I think it is. Its a slower twist and loves heavier bullets.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i just got a bushmaster orc optics ready at dunhams for the price 750$ plus a 100 gift card on the spot after the gun sale hard to beat for a standard ar

·
Registered
18,352 Posts
i have a DPMS M4, i got it from R guns thru shotgun news. i ordered the upper and lower then put them together total was around $620.00 around 4 years ago.

call DPMS 1-800-578-3767 and ask for Steve or Adam, tell them what you want it for and listen to what they recommend.

and go from there, of course once you get your AR you might want one of these:

http://www.slidefiresolutions.com/Products.html

its on my wish list.

dont buy a 1,000 dollar rifle, buy a 700 dollar rifle and outfit to fit your hunting needs, you wont shoot better with a more expensive gun unless you already have the skills.

you can spend the money you save on ammo and optics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts