The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone's opinion on the best and worst ATV brands out there. What's the most reliable utility quad that will go through anything and not come out needing a whole bunch of new parts? Also, something that won't break the budget?

·
Registered
943 Posts
What type of atv are you referring to? Sport, race, 4x4 and in what engine size? Either way stay away from the Chinese knockoffs. They're junk.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
I have a vintage 1998 Suzuki LTF 500 that I've had for 16 years.The speedometer broke so I have no idea how many miles are on it.It any event,I've beat the crap out of it and never really maintained it.The only part that I've ever replaced is a voltage regulator.Regardless of the weather,it starts instantly every time.It's full time 4wd,not overly comfortable and doesn't have a very high end.However,it's worth more to me than anyone else so I just keep it.I also have two grizzlys and never had an issue with them either.Last summer,I bought my son a Honda 250x and that's a heck of a nice machine.I've owned mostly Suzukis and Yamahas over the past 20+ years and never had a problem with any of them.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sorry. Reread the op and now see you're talking utility. Grizzlies are hard to beat reliability wise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would go with YAMAHA !
I have 1986 Yamaha Moto 4 350 bought New
and 1995 Yamaha Woverine 350 4x4 bought New
The Only Problems I have on Both is
Carb Problems with Ethanol Gas !
Fixed that Problem rebuilt both carbs and
use a gas treatment, Stopped all Problems !

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I have Polaris and would hihly recommend em.I always bought ours when they had clearances on em.We also had a 98 Yammy Kodiak that was a good machine just parts were expensive.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have great experiences with Hondas. I also had a Kawasaki Bayou 220 that gave me 7 trouble free years. I know of many Yamahas that have given good service. I have seen people have trouble with Polaris and Arctic Cats. I won't bad mouth, because I don't know what kind of maintenance they might have had.

Will

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I really can't recommend one over the other. I've owned one from each company and all were pretty good. I'd rate my Hondas first. I would have to put Polaris dead last for a number of reasons. That's the only brand I wouldn't recommend. The off brand stuff I'd stay away from but it is getting better. Just look how KIA and Hyundai came out of no where to become big. I see that happening with these small off brands now

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My parents have a 2001 Yamaha big bear 400 4x4 that they bought new. All it has ever took is brake pads, spark plugs, oil changes, and 2 carb cleanings. They use the living snot out of the thing. 3 miles per day on average. Hauling a trailer with double the weight that is recommended, plowing 1.5 mile long one way mountain logging road that is their driveway in the winter, property has been logged twice since they had it and used the quad for all the clean up on the 123 acres. So based off what I have seen that little 400 put through I wouldn't hesitate on Yamaha's reliability.

·
Registered
18,553 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Honda Foreman and really like it. Had a Polaris Sportsman in the past that gave me ALOT of problems. My dad has been using a Honda Foreman for the last 14 years and all he has done to it is replace the battery and change the oil.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I,ve had a lot of em and don,t see Polaris,s as bein more problematic in my case.They are usually the better value if you buy em right and they are the sales leader by a large margain which might make it seem like they have more problems cause their are so many more out there.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
good ole boy said:
I,ve had a lot of em and don,t see Polaris,s as bein more problematic in my case.They are usually the better value if you buy em right and they are the sales leader by a large margain which might make it seem like they have more problems cause their are so many more out there.
We ride a lot and I rarely ever see a polaris.I know a lot of guys that used to have them but every single once stopped buying them.I never owned one so I can't bash them but I never heard anything good from those who owned them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts