The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like recommendations on what ammo to use when hunting Canadian Geese with a 12 GA 3" chamber shotgun? Thanks

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is no best ammo for Canada geese for any one gun, you need to try several brands and shot sizes and see which one patterns best.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have used Winchester Xperts , BB shot with good results when hunting snow geese. Have not used them for Canadas, use 3 `1/2 Federal BB's. Also have had great success with Kent loads

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I think that the Dead Coyote by Hevi shot is awesome on geese. I have never had geese fall like they do with that stuff.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
John S said:
There is no best ammo for Canada geese for any one gun, you need to try several brands and shot sizes and see which one patterns best.
Pappy's right (John S). Remember to try different choke tubes as well.

I shoot a Browning Silver Autoloader with a factory Mod choke tube along with 3" Hevi Metal #2's. Patterns like all get out. But, I've tried Kent 3" #2's and it doesn't do any good out of that gun. Your gun on the other hand may actually shoot/pattern Kent's real well.

Number one advice ....... Experiment!

All the best and good luck!

·
Registered
941 Posts
As was said above, pattern several types of ammo with different chokes.You will be amazed at the variability of the patterns.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:

John,

Your Slipping!

He said...

questor2345 said:
I would like recommendations on what ammo to use when hunting Canadian Geese with a 12 GA 3" chamber shotgun? Thanks
Ain't No Such Critter!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I know that that is why I used the proper name.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
I know that that is why I used the proper name.
I happened to Forget...

YES there is Such a Critter...

The males of the Species have Gray hair and the Females of the Species have Blue hair and they Migrate each fall to Florida and Back to Ontario each spring...Shooting those Canadian Geese will get you a Murder charge...

I'm sure you have seen them, sometimes in Huge Caravans heading South at Break Neck Speeds!??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts