The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spend Winters in South West Fl and we have a Iguana issue in past few years. It is a open season as they are considered a invasive and destructive species, so no issue that way.

Certain areas are no issue with shooting, but most areas have houses etc. So gun choice depends on area. I bought a 177 pellet gun from Cabelas last winter, a break barrel and it works ok, but is a little on the light side for bigger Iguanas.

My air gun knowledge is very limited, this is why I am asking here and trying to learn.

I " think" I want a 22 cal, but I know I do "NOT" want a single shot as there are times where there are several to shoot.
Looking for a accurate air gun, clip or other wise fed for quicker second shot opportunity. Most shots are relatively close, 20yards or less. But accuracy is very important considering all the boats and houses .
I don't need the most powerful for long range, just accurate at short range.

Looking for recommendations. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
There's a gal on YouTube that post video's of iguana hunting in Florida. I'd have to look but what ever she is using does a job on them.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a gal on YouTube that post video's of iguana hunting in Florida. I'd have to look but what ever she is using does a job on them.
Saw a couple videos of a woman in Fl shooting them, but don't know what air gun she is using either.

·
Registered
738 Posts
No different then conventional rifles. Go bigger more killing energy but maybe give up a bit in fine accuracy plus increased trajectories.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Compare the FPS of a standard .22 with sub Sonics, cb caps, Aguila, etc versus the pellet gun. I have a Gamo .22 cal break barrel that works good on groundhogs but it isn’t exactly quiet. You might be able to use a bolt .22 with lesser ammo and have an equivalent killing machine.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CB caps are quiet but I was reading Florida doesn't consider a air gun a weapon so I think a 22 might restrict you to the country side. With air guns the guys are shooting them in residential areas
This is in fact the case for me. I do plan to take a 22 rimfire with me also. But need a air gun for a lot of the area near my house.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I recall seeing some post about hunting them with air rifles in Puerto Rico maybe with a guide.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would think a .177 break barrel with a clip, unless you are going big time, than drop a grand or so for a PCP, scope cam, the works. But, if you just want to clear out a handful of these things, go mid price and lower power. I am not recommending any name brand, that being said and with homes close by, I know how far a pellet can put a hurting on something and a window. My Gamo .22 has busted squirrels at fifty yards and I feel I could go beyond that range. My Gamo .177 is plenty for 30 yards. But be prepared to try a hand full of pellet to fine the one that your rifle shoots correctly. Take a look at my post with the targets. I don't have any up to date photos of my rat set up with the .177. I am zeroed in at 15 yds, 10 shots inside of 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
This is in fact the case for me. I do plan to take a 22 rimfire with me also. But need a air gun for a lot of the area near my house.
IMHO....if you're gonna kill 'em, get a good quality PCP 22 cal. and don't mess around. If you pay $800 for a cheap gun....it's only another $500 for one you will actually like.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I bought a dirt cheap Gammo several years ago for maybe $90. It's a real POS. Louder than a 22LR. Shoots a "special" coated pellet 1,000fps (Legit, I ran it across my chronograph).

It's been sitting in a closet for years now. If you're serious about an air gun, then IMHO you gotta be serious about the cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts