The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This will be my first year hitting the turkey woods. Any suggestions on calls that I must have? I'd like to get them soon so I can enough time to practice with them.

Slate or glass better?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
A good slate call i think is a must have. I just bought a slate over glass sound board from Andy at A+J calls. Well made call with a great sound.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
My best advice to a newbie is very simple . Don't do what you see on tv, which is call way too much and too loud . Become profficient on a box, slate, or even a push pin call . They sound good and are easy to learn as opposed to mouth calls. Scout vigilantly and have a lot of patience. When you know you are in a good spot and birds are in the area, be patient. Dont get frustrated. Be persistent. Success will come in time and it will be sweet as honey. Watch and learn from the birds. They will teach you how to hunt them. You will quickly become addicted to this sport. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Find some property private or public with birds. They will teach you. If you are lucky enough to consistently get near turkeys without too much pressure you will learn. As already stated, don't call too much and get a good friction call or two.

If you can find a friend or even a distant friend who hunts turkeys, call him after a turkey beats you up and frustrates you. And ask what he would do. Everyone like to tell you there story even if they won't take you to their honey hole. i've learned a ton through phone calls to guys who've been killing turkeys since the 70's. And they have helped me kill a bunch in the last 12 yaers.

·
Registered
819 Posts
learn the birds, feeding habits, travel areas, and be realistic.. turkeys make noise in the woods, dont be afraid to mimic a turkey "scratching" leaves looking for food while doing some clucking so you can clean a spot out on the ground to sit in or even do a few feeding scratching piles for visual for the birds to see.. I called a gobbler in by "scratching" leaves and clucking, he gobbled 75% of the time just from the sound of the leaves.. another trick ive had work well for me is imitating a bird stretching its wings.. ive seen birds "stand up straight" almost and stretch their wings out with a few light flaps.. so once in a while ill try lightly flapping my hat to imitate this for them to hear. Getting on the same level of ground as the gobbler can help, sometimes calling uphill or downhill, although very possible to be done, doesnt work so well.. making it easy for that tom to get to you increases your chances of bagging him . And as stated above, dont over call, sometimes silence is your best call, just because he doesnt gobble doesnt mean he didnt hear you or isnt interested. A lot of wary or call shy birds will come in silent and surprise you. Over calling may discourage him from coming in or could lure other hunters in.

One call not to try... ive heard this so many times on some private land i have permission to hunt.. a quad driving through the woods decides to stop and become a turkey yelping away and when there is no gobble it turns back into a quad and moves on.. it just doesnt usually work well..

lol hope this helps you a bit!

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
All great advice

·
6,450 Posts
any call you can run is a good one.....the best advice I can give a newbie is be aware of your surroundings identify your target and watch out for those crazy guys that think they can seek up on a turkey......oh and have fun with it!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good advice so far, getting in touch with a more seasoned turkey hunter will definitely help out (HPA not a bad place!) and help minimize the amount of bummed out walks back to the truck.

Resist the urge to keep calling at a hot gobbler, as said before, you're better off keeping quiet and being ready with gun up and ready long before he gets close enough. Almost 100% if they sneak up and your gun isn't readied, they'll catch you getting set up right.

Lastly, have fun with it. Spring gobbler is more about the hunt than the final outcome. Almost nobody goes through the learning process without having a few redfaced moments. Learn from those, move on and have fun!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Where do you live and hunt ?? I will have most of the season to hunt. I would be more than happy to give you a few pointers. Not that I know everything though.

Some very good advice listed above...

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
A slate for soft calling. Forget running around the woods yelping loudly on a box call like 75% of the hunters seem to do.

Patience and woods wise. Someimes you can use your woods smarts to outwit a gobbler. Move on him if and when you need to. Move closer, farther away, left or right, around an obstacle, etc., etc.. Play the game he wants to play and beat him at it!

If you get the chance, listen to live wild turkeys and try to learn from them. They are not the best callers. Most guys actually sound better than a live hen.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Get out now while you still can!

In all seriousness: Turkey hunting is a learning curve just like anything else. Dont let a gobbler psych you out. If you are calling and it is working, stick with it. Better advice above, but just enjoy yourself.

As was said above, be safe and be constantly aware of who and what is around you.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Learn to respect and honor the other turkey hunters out there.Good luck to you this year and many years to come.

Scott

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
My best advice to a newbie is very simple . Don't do what you see on tv, which is call way too much and too loud . Become profficient on a box, slate, or even a push pin call . They sound good and are easy to learn as opposed to mouth calls. Scout vigilantly and have a lot of patience. When you know you are in a good spot and birds are in the area, be patient. Dont get frustrated. Be persistent. Success will come in time and it will be sweet as honey. Watch and learn from the birds. They will teach you how to hunt them. You will quickly become addicted to this sport. Best of luck to you!
THIS!!!! And I will add...SIT STILL or learn how to if you have trouble doing so. It can take practice to learn to become part of the woods and move your eyes first then your head ever so slowly. That saying that a bird inside of 40 yards can see your eyes move if you blink hard is true. Their brains and nervous systems are tuned to pick up the minute movements of a predator that want to eat them. Your movement will bugger up a bird faster than bad calling ever could. As far as calls...slates or box calls are simple and easy to learn on and nothing beats a push pin call for ease of use. My 7 year old nephew has called in big gobblers with one. That being said, don't worry if your calling isn't perfect either. I have heard what I could have sworn was a hunter, sqwuaking away on a call that sounded like somebody was beating a cat to death against a black board, only to see a hen come over the rise, being the one making all the racket. PATIENCE, PERSISTANCE and FLEXIBILITY in the turkey woods. Keep it simple and you should survive. lol Good luck!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Couple observations
Rain = Turkeys prefer fields in rain
Loud Vocal cutting has its place Shock calling often gets a reply when nothing else will...particularly in slow periods of day
Some of the best times to hunt is 10-12:00 ... Gobblers seem to get lonely...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are all so awesome!! Thank you so much for all of the advice! I'll put it all to good use in the coming weeks and hopefully bag a gobbler one day. Thanks again guys! God bless

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
If you move in on them when they're on the roost,don't call like crazy to them.A couple clucks or a soft tree yelp is more than you need to call until they hit the ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts