The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the best 4" .357 duty revolver?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
S&W mod. 686. I was very happy with mine and really didn't want to convert to a semi auto.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Colt King Cobra, Smith & Wesson 686, Colt Python

·
Registered
889 Posts
IMO the best duty revolver ever made was the S&W Model 27. And it was available in a 4" model. Although I prefer the 6" model. The revolver is heavy. But that is exactly what a Duty Revolver needs to be.

It was built on the N-Frame and not the K-Frame like the 19 and the 686(which are great revolvers on their own). I just think the heavier 27 was the best S&W ever made(duty revolver). And alot of the older officers felt the same way about the revolver.

I just wonder if S&W made this revolver again?? How many shots could they get in that massive cylinder that the N-Frame can handle. 8 shots?? Maybe 9?? That would be a real dandy.

The 27's were very accurate. And alot of that had to do with the heft of the revolver. And the revolver also made a fantastic 'club", which was the preferred use of the revolver amongst officers in the past(according to them-I have no experience with that). I know my FIL was a Conservation Officer and he was given one that was a commemorative to the West Virginia State Police. And that revolver is his pride and joy. Tom.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
I just wonder if S&W made this revolver again?? How many shots could they get in that massive cylinder that the N-Frame can handle. 8 shots?? Maybe 9?? That would be a real dandy.
I just read a little while back that they were being offered again. There are a couple slight differences from the original though.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Bought a new 4" M686 the year they were introduced, still love it. Traded a M28 on it. Too heavy, in comparison to the M686.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
John S said:
S&W mod. 686. I was very happy with mine and really didn't want to convert to a semi auto.
I'm with John on this one, although my Glock 31 aint bad...

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
M19s are very nice pistols. A huntin' bud had one since the 70s. Six incher and we shot the heck out of it at camp, but you gotta remember why S&W came out with the L Frame 586 and 686: M19s were not designed for a steady diet of hot 357 loads.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
When I bought my new M686 back in '85?, the handgun guy at the shop tried to get me to buy a new Python, instead (he was and still is, a big Colt nut).

He pulled two Pythons out of the Colt case and extolled their virtues over a "new and untried S&W model". Asked him if he'd sell me the Python for the same price as the blued M586 S&W? He put the Pythons back in the display case and shuffled on over to the S&W section.

I've shot a buddy's 6" Python. Nice pistol, but I still prefer my M686, which was far less expensive than a Python.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
For duty carry the S&W model 19 is great. If I was getting one for hunting/shooting where thousands of round might be fired over a year or two, then the Model 27.

I like my 4 " m19.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts