The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting my sister in the edinboro/ erie area. I forget where we wound up hiking but it was by a large earth dam that might have been national park service area. Anyways I found a bush that had maple like leaves on it as well as some hard berries that were starting to turn from green to red. My newcombs wildflower book says that it is either high bush cranberry or mooseberry however they look so similar that I can't tell them apart. I realize that that this is a crappy description but can anyone id the plant from it? I'm sorry but at the moment I don't have the ability to take pictures.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What picture? If it is a mooseberry bush, whach out for a moose and a squirrel!

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
High bush cranberries have tri-lobed leaves like maples and clusters of stemmed red berries about the size of peas. Plants only get about 10 feet high. In fact the latin name for high bush cranberries is Viburnum Trilobum. They have rather large seeds inside and are quite objectionable until after the first frost, when they are just sour, about like a slightly green bog cranberry. Berries are to be picked after the frost and put in a sauce pan and just covered with water. Simmr until the berries' skin cracks open. drain the water and then run the flesh & juice through a seive, use it to make jelly like you would any juice. Frankly, sumac berries taste better. High bush canberries grow wild through western NY state and down into Northern PA. A few years ago, many local conservation districts in PA offerred them for sale as wildlife food and cover. I know first hand, I bought some. They can make a nice decorative hedge, and the berries hang on through the winter. When the birds have absolutely nothing else, they eat the dried berries. The bushes are quite attractive in late summer with the dark green leaves and bright red clusters of berries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts