The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally starting to pick lots of berry's. I picked about 5 quarts of my greenhouse strawberry's, 2 quarts of black raspberry's and 12 quarts of blueberry's tonight. They are definitely liking this hot weather.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Great. How many blueberry bushes does a fellow need? I my daughter got me 4 of them for fathers day and man are they good they are northcountry and are supossed to have the flavor of wild ones. Never ate a wild one but these ones sure are good. Just planted a patch of 20 Jewel black rasberries this year hoping to get some next year.

·
20,127 Posts
4 Highbush should be plenty for a family for picking and eating. If you're looking to freeze a years worth of berries then you'll need a long more then that. My 10 year old plants give about 3-4 quarts a piece per season. Winter really hammered a few of my plants though.

20 Blacks........within 4 years you'll have WAAAAAY more rasps then you know what to do with.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with 20 black raspberry's you will have plenty in a year or so. I have 24 and I get more then I know what to do with. I believe northcountry is considered a half high blueberry. It is a cross between a wild and highbush blueberry. They are very hardy variety's. I think some people even use them in Patio pots or landscaping around the house. I would think in 3-4 years you should get enough to eat fresh and some freezing. We have about 175 bushes and we get all we can handle. We picked for 2 hours yesterday. It is a lot of work, but the reward is great.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
I ate a bunch of rasberrys tonight while walking the dog. Very tasty. They grow all along the woods here

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Nice looking berries!

Our blueberries and black raspberries aren't ripe yet but we do have a bumper crop also.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Thanks. That is also what it says on the tag. Says they are good landscape plant and they get red leaves on them in the fall that hang on pretty long. Get only 20 inches high and spread 30 inches. They do taste great. They have some berries on them in the pot.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
We have about 40 blueberry bushes and they are coming in early this year. This is the first year Mrs. is selling them. Put a gallon or so in the freezer already.

Got some black rasberries over the weekend when I took a break from baling hay. Looks like a bumper crop of wine berries and blackberries coming. Usually pick some wineberries by the 4th, but they are late this year. This will be the first year for the seedless concord grapes (lots hanging) And I started picking plums on the 4th.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Local home depot has all blueberry bushes on sale for $7 each. Is it better to get a variety of different types of the same picking season or get some of all 3( early mid and late). What are you recommended varieties to purchase? Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It really depends what you want. If you want to have berry's all season you should get some of each. In my one patch I have 2 plants of 11 different variety's and 3 of one. It gives me a few early, a lot mid season, and a few late. In our other we have in 6's or even 8's. I have also seen in our patch that they don't come in when they are advertised. They all seem to come in earlier then advertised. I would recommend reka, duke or sparton for early, bluejay, bluecrop, toro, or bluegold for mid, and jersey, liberty, elliott for late season. Fall creek nursey in Washington state has a really good fruiting season chart along with variety descriptions ( berry size and taste) that describes all these variety's and then some. They don't sell to the public, only commercial. I used their website to pick the variety's I have then bought them elsewhere. If you have any more question pm me. I know this is a lot to digest.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I picked 2 gallons of Black Rasberrys over the weekend. Bumper crop this year. Nice big ones.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Re: blueberries There must be 40 varieties including early and late varieties. And it seems each year there are new ones. Just saw one over the weekend that I never heard of before - Chippewa. We have about 10 different varieties but you need to be careful because some do better down south in hotter weather, like "Rabbit Eye" We have Patriots, Elliots, Northern, Early Blue, and others I don't recall. Even three "Pink Lemonade" Although they are three year old plants and haven't blossomed yet. (A BLUEberry that is pink is against the laws of nature) I don't care for the Elliots as much as some others. I bought three marked down blueberry plants at Lowes two weeks ago for $5 each.

Blueberries have shallow root systems and are very suseptible to drought damage. Make sure the plants are within reach of a hose or bucket carrying distance for watering when it is dry.

A good loose acid soil is better for them. I dig a hole the size of a bushel basket and mix composted manure, sand, sawdust and sifted soil to make up soil to fill the hole around the plant. Leave plenty of room between the plants. They tend to bush out a lot, when they get to 5 or 6 ft.

Many of the state ag extensions and state ag colleges have free blueberry growing information on line.

The smaller berries are better for muffins and pancakes than the big berries. The big ones are better for pies, cobblers and eating fresh. Mrs. puts a half cup of frozen berries in her oatmeal every morning. I'll take a cup of berries, add a tblspn of sugar and heat em in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to make a syrup for ice cream or pancakes. I throw a cup of berries in with apples for pie, etc.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you for the info. I picked up 4 plants of diff. Varieties for $7 each. All 3 year old plants some with berries now. Last question, do they need full sun or part sun?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think they need a least 6 hours of sun per day. I have mine so they get sun all day till about 7 in the evening this time of year.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My local Walmart is selling Chippawa blueberry bushes for $10
Wife says they are too tangy for her but am sure they would be tasty in muffins, etc.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Lowes had them cheaper if your local Lowes has any left. Cheaper than $10 that is.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
About 12 years ago I built a 20x20 raised bed for my son's play set. Filled with stone for drainage and mulch on top. Last year the black raspberries found a home and took over. Best crop in 20 years (used to picked them along the field and tree line). Not a huge patch but enough for a couple of pies.

Absolutely nothing better than a black raspberry pie and vanilla ice creme for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts