The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody shooting one on their Encore? I finally got to the range to site my Encore w/ Bergara barrel and Leupold Ultimate Slam scope. The results were very unpleasing as I could not get any kind of group to even sight in better than a 6" group. Shooting off bags, 250 gr yellow Shockwaves and 2 777 pellets, cleaning every shot.

Was going to hunt with it this year as my main rifle however it will not leave the gun safe at this point!

Anyone have any ideas or experience with the barrel?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Re: Bergara 209x50 barrel

more than likely needs a new sabot. If they load fairly easy kiss accuracy goodbye. Also the pellet reports this week have been just that.. Weak, inconsistent.

Your barrel is top notch. Try an mmp-12 short black sabot with your SW. Maybe even a 300gr xtp mag. You know the name of the game! What worked in the last barrel most likely wont work in the new one.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts

Dusty,

My CVA Bergara absolutely drives tacks. If you are shooting 100 grains of 777 and a 250 bullet then I would say your overdriving that round. Try using 777 loose and dropping to 70 grains powder, or try jumping up to a 290-325 grain bullet. Also, I am not familiar with that Leupold scope but is it made for shotgun or muzzleloader? Sometimes the heavy vibration of the shotgun and muzzleloader and can loosen mounts or knock standard rifle scopes out.

Just some ideas, hope they help,

GBJ

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

Ditch the pellets. They are way too finecky. If you do not have the ball seated the entire way then they won't shoot right. If they are seated too far and you crack them then they fire like a roman candle. Loose powder is definatly alot more forgiving.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Keep the ideas coming for load combos. I know the barrel is to be top notch but I just could not beleive the poor accuracy. I was hoping to get a tack driver. The scope is similar to the Nikon Omega and is made for the muzzleloader.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts

6" isnt that bad. Sabots are like that though, if its not the right match up, accuracy isnt going to be tight.

I really think the xtp/ short black mmp12 combo will do you good. Even the hornady sst with supplied sabots may do you well.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

If I ever had a gun that could only hold a 6" group it would be in the trash can. it should be able to shoot a one hole group at 100 yards. Another thing that you may want to try is a heavier ball. I personally prefer the 295gr power belts. Nice thing about them is the ball is actually sealing in the rifling.

This just hit me but did you make sure that your scope is locked down? If it came loose then that will throw you group out of wack.

·
Banned
900 Posts

I'm using the same sabot/bullet combo but loose 777 (100gr.) in my Encore with the TC barrel. No issues with groups.
I was looking at that brand of barrel in 243 and a guy said there was head spacing issues with that brand. Don't know if that matters. I'm gonna take the chance though for the price.

Now, the primers may be an issue. Some of the 209 primers actually "move" your powder charge before it actually fires the main charge. This was the case with my uncles Triumph. He tried 3 different primers and the Federal Fusion 209 were the ones that produced the best groups. The difference between the different types was at least 3".

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So I lied and looked at the targets again this morning, it's more like a 10" group! Checked everything for tightness multiple times. It just means I am forced to take the day off today to go get some different bullets and head the the range again to get this thing worked out, it's killing me and I want to use it as a club right now!

And this is not my first go round with a ML but is with the inline. I have worked with every gun I own reloading to optimize accurracy, guess this will be no different!

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

I have a TC Pro Hunter w/TC factory bbl. 2 T7 Magnum Pellets(approximates 120 grains 2fg loose) & a 250 grain TC Shockwave Bonded (blue polymyer tip) with factory stepped Base sabot will put one on top of another all day long. I found the bonded SW's to shoot much better vs non-bonded bullet with hot loads.

Your groups indicate a definite problem. curious...what primers? Even with a non-bonded SW's assuming T-7 pellets arent Magnums...you should have much tigher groups. Could be the scope or defective bbl.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts

dont go hurting that rifle yet, its not a centerfire you cant expect to just load something up and be done with it. Get some new supplies.

Bergara has no head spacing issues. TC on the other hand from what ive read on mike bellms website, has a disaster with head spacing issues along with many things. The encore is a Pain in the butt muzzleloader/centerfire.

I remember helping one guy out with an encore and he said it still didnt shoot worth a crap. He sent it back to TC and they ended up replacing lock up springs, barrel pin, trigger adjustment and then a new forearm due to it having stress cracks. Now with something like that, there wasnt a chance in [censored] anyone could have knew the problems the rifle had lol.

But seriously, those yellow sabots are NOT for a cva barrel.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

frontier gander said:
But seriously, those yellow sabots are NOT for a cva barrel.
I think he is referring to the yellow polymer ballistic tip that is on the standard TC Shockwave not a yellow sabot. They come prepacked with a black stepped base sabot...prototype of the MMP HPH12...unless he got the TC superglides.. Could be the problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I picked up some Hornady SST-ML (250gr)bullets and sabots and went to the range today. Group was better at about 5". They still seem to load very easily. Still using 2 standard 777 pellets.

The previous bullets were the non-bonded Shockwaves with yellow tip and they were packaged with the yellow sabots.

Any other recommondations for the bullets and sabots to try?

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

They shouldnt be loading that easy. A saboted bullet should take a decent amount of force to load. If too loose...they will be all over the place due to blow by coupled with sabot not engaging rifling. Have you recovered any sabots?
petals should be evenly spread PLUS clear sharp rifling grooves should be cut in sabots body.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

My son has a cva optima Pro I think the fluted 29" barrel
Bergara barrel absolutely drives tacks with it.I only find 2 draw backs with this M/L
1 the LOP is too long and trying to cut it just won't happen
2 the gun for me is a little to heavy.
I have shot it with loose triple 777 powder charge 85 grains and I pushed all type of bullet/sabot down the bore
and it will just make one hole.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts

Very good start! Got it down to 5" with a new sabot/bullet change, thats very good news.

Im not sure what sabot the sst's come with though so that kind of hurts. I know my cva's really liked the mmp-12 sabot, the 24's i believe are thicker. It should take around 40-60lbs ( in my rifles) to seat the sabot load.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

It sounds like that if the sabots are going in that easy then possibly you may have a bad barrel. Did you try the powerbelts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I am definately not using anywhere near 50lbs of force to seat the load. For reference I am using a standard ram rod with no T end or anything and I simply out the end of the rod in the palm of my hand and push it down. Sounds like it would hurt badly to load this way if even possible with load that fits properly to the barrel.

Only thing Gander had was the Hornady SST to try. I will take a trip over lunch today to Bass Pro to see if they have anything else to try. Sounds like I will be spending tonight at the range and possible tomorrow morning until I get this thing shooting to where I feel comfortable to hunt with it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts