The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some snooping around reading on the infamous Benoit family. The master big buck trackers of Vermont. I'm just wondering if their skills are truly legendary, or if their hype has made them legendary. Anybody have any dealings with them ? Do they outfit, or do all their hunting alone ? I guess I'm just a bit leery since they have a website selling hats, shirts, and outlandishly priced rifles with their signatures engraved in them.

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Their father, Larry Benoit, never accepted a rifle from Remington or a wool coat from Woolrich or anybody else. He did write a few magazine articles and books for education and income, and he makes knives that are a little pricey. His three sons have turned hunting into a business...who can blame them. They have the resume to back up what they say. Plus, everybody else is doing it.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I think the Benoits are the real deal!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
They are the real deal, however the tracking techniques do not apply to areas that are not huge, since on alot of private pieces if you are following a track for 3 hours, you have tresspassed 27 times.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Over the years I have talked with two people who know the Benoit's very well. Both felt they were exceptional hunters with the determination to get big deer. They felt there was nothing fake about their hunting styles.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Have never heard anything negative about them even with a few people in the past who have tried to discredit them. They hunt hard for what they get. Now granted when they go to camp I think it's for something like a month! I wish I had a month to hunt!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
An outfitter friend of mine in maine is acquainted with them and is also good friends with Dick Bernier, another legendary tracker, all these guys hunt long and hard and one theme you'll hear from them is "never give up on a buck until you absolutely have to". Not many hunters have the physical and, maybe more importantly, the mental stamina to hunt the way they do, and as stated already you need vast amounts of real estate to access. IMO they are the real deal whether or not you agree with their methods. They don't strike me as the kind who hunt to "cash in" on hunters enthusiasm, more like they got drawn in by hunters who wanted to know more about their methods and how they kill big deer. If they make some money doing it, hey great for them I think that's ok when hard work and success pays off in a way you never intended or expected. But that's just me.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Seems in this day and age of hunting, no one can be a hero anymore, without someone trying to make a buck.

As a second week of rifle stillhunter, I will hold on to my heros from the era in life I most needed them as a deer hunter, from my Pap, to my Dad to the old Benoit writings that inspired me to stick it out at an early age that I found in the pages of those old tattered camp magazines ..Aall i need is a track, the rest is up to me.

I won't buy the products mentioned, but i will thank them for always making me think my dream was bedded over that next rise.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Fleroo said:
Been doing some snooping around reading on the infamous Benoit family. The master big buck trackers of Vermont. I'm just wondering if their skills are truly legendary, or if their hype has made them legendary. Anybody have any dealings with them ? Do they outfit, or do all their hunting alone ? I guess I'm just a bit leery since they have a website selling hats, shirts, and outlandishly priced rifles with their signatures engraved in them.
You've got to be kidding. You will not find commercial/television hunters more authentic than the Benoits. They are as real as you can get.

Do yourself a favor and start out by reading the book that started it all for them, "How to bag the biggest buck of your life" by the Patriarch himself Larry, and then go from there. I have several of their books and a couple videos as well.

They track whitetails in some of the most vast and wild country you could ever imagine, particularly when they hunt Canada. The follow the tracks for miles in sub-zero temperatures and often go so far back they have to come back the next day to start where they left off.

No other hunters on TV can hold a candle to the Benoits. They're showing their age a little lately, but still kill some montser bucks.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
RoosterBooster said:
All i need is a track, the rest is up to me.
It sounds so easy, find a buck track & follow it to you see the deer and shoot it. It ain't that easy.

Yes the Benoits are masters, they are masters at tracking. Other hunters my be masters and just as good at there method of hunting deer, whether that is still hunting, stand hunting or organize drives. All take a different skills and knowledge to be consistent.
I have every book that the Benoits, I believe, have ever published, including a signed paperback of Larry's first, along with their videos. If nothing else they will educate you along with entertaining you on deer hunting.
I would also say that Dick Bernier is in the same class along with a lesser known tracker from Main by the name of Hal Blood. His Book Hunting Big Woods Bucks, Secrets of tracking and stalking whitetails is a good read.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
All i need is a track, the rest is up to me.

It sounds so easy, find a buck track & follow it to you see the deer and shoot it. It ain't that easy.
CDB, don't misunderstand me...IT AIN'T EASY...and when I think it is not going to happen and it is smarter to just hike down and try elsewhere, I think of those stories of their (benoit's) long hunts for the leaver of the track. I also think of my Dad's saying..."It only takes a second"...I love it all cause it ain't easy when the hills don't stop. Wish I had the RE those boys do to hunt, but I will settle for southern Potter County, it is endless enough for the time I have..

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Should of worded that a little different, I knew you knew it's not that easy.
This is what I love about the big woods, especially the second week, if there's snow I know I can again try and track the antler one with out much fear of running him into another hunter or onto posted ground.
As Larry Benoit likes to say, getting him out is the easy part, find him is the hard part.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
"To outwit the Whitetail you must know how to locate
him, how to track him, and how to down him. It takes
stamina, woods lore, deer lore, and experience to win
this fight. It takes dedication of will, the mind, the
senses, and the body. You must put 100% of everything
you have into the hunt for the trophy buck, or you won't
win. This is one of the reasons I love to hunt the
Whitetail..."
Larry Benoit "How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life"

Larry Benoit is the "master", everybody else can line
up behind him!

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I have enjoyed some of their stories, if I recall a 3006 Rem 760 Pump is the rifle of choice for the family.....

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
They do all use Rem pumps, but I beleive Lanny's is a 270.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can't believe anyone questioning their ability! They are true hunters. I think the ones that should be questioned are the ones that are on t.v. and sit in a tree stand and wait for the buck to walk within 20 yds and they shoot it. Then they try and tell you how hard of a hunt it was. But thats what people want to see. Don't get me wrong.. I sit in a tree also but that is just waiting to shoot to me , not hunting.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
These guys are the real deal. Any of these guys on the outdoor channel can't hold their underwear when it comes to deer hunting.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Don't get me wrong.. I sit in a tree also but that is just waiting to shoot to me , not hunting.

Gotta disagree- from the time spent scouting, finding trails, feeding, bedding areas, escape routes, travell routes, scrape lines time spent mulling over maps, and the sign you've found and what it means to what your planning, time spent finding the right set up in the right spot, scent control, to the final moments leading up to the shot and shot placement itself. It's every bit entitled to be called hunting as any other method. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
If I could have my pick to hunt with any well known deer hunter it would be either Larry or Lanny. Just the knowledge I would receive would be worth it.
Although Lanny is my own age ,I would probably choose to hunt with 80 something year old Larry. That way I wouldn't hold anyone up, might even be able to keep up with Pop, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.