The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread on here got me curious. I'm certain most, if not all of us agree; the Benoits are great deer hunters. Does anybody successfully use the Benoit's tactics (or know someone who does) for deer hunting in PA?
Like I said, just curious.

·
Banned
152 Posts
ive grown up with my dad not being a big bowhunter, yet the snow flies in the northcentral part of the state in 2G with his rifle and a set of fresh buck tracks and that deers in trouble hes been following the benoits for at least 20 years now and i always said he was a benoit seperated at birth! 9 of his 10 trophys on the wall have been tracked bucks, benoit style!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
There is too much posted land in Pa. for that style of hunting, the exception being the large tracts of state land in the northcentral part of the state.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Have shot 2 buck and 5 dow tracking in snow, big woods. Missed more than got. It's hard, Maine is flatter than pa, easier walking.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I do when ever the conditions are right, like right now, but due to family sickness I haven't been able to. I still hunt mostly when we don't have snow.
You do need large areas of public ground, nothing more frustrating then spending hours on a track only to have it go on posted land.
You also need to be in good physical shape.
I have had some success but will admit, I have loss more than I have won.
Great way to hunt, especially if your like me who gets bored just sitting and waiting.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
BlackBruin said:
Have shot 2 buck and 5 dow tracking in snow, big woods. Missed more than got. It's hard, Maine is flatter than pa, easier walking.
All flat in Maine I don't think so have you hunted all over Maine and easier walking not many bogs in Pa much easier walking in pa. To much posted land in Pa to always work.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I have tracked down three bucks on snow (2 rifle/1 bow)...I have unsuccessfully tracked many more bucks that got away unscathed!

·
Registered
21,546 Posts
I tracked a big buck once but never caught up to him. The next year, he got hit by a car. That's Benoit hunting PA style.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
700,000+ acres between bald eagle tiaghdaton s.f. It can get boggy in Maine, but your not fighting laurel the whole way, and there's more "hills" than ridges in Maine. Not saying that it's all over, just a general rule of thumb. Bob hart had lanny Benoit out to bald eagle sf forest before looms early bird sport expo 3-4 years ago. He even said it can get rougher.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
in my younger days i trailed a giant track all over the mountain in SGL 42. it was one of the funnest days i ever hunted but never saw a hair. the track looked like a cow. about 15 degrees, 6" of fresh snow, no wind, no people. i went up and down that mountain, through hollows, mt laurel and green briar. it would be hard to do in most areas of the state. sgl 42 above ligonier is one of those places. but at about 1 deer for every 3 sq miles, your chance of success is pretty low. the buck rubs up in them hills are the biggest i have seen though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts