The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy looking at all the pics in this forum. My girlfriend and I are headed to Benezette next weekend. She is a photographer, and I would like to know if anyone can recommend any spots for some cool pics. Obviously we are mainly going for the elk, but anything that is a little different or off the beaten path would be cool.
Hoping for some fresh snow...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Stuff will jump out at you all over there...we went in february last year and I must of took 200+ pics a day...and we did not see than many elk either.

Where you staying?

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
First, might be some elk in & around town. Check both sides of the road by Elk Lick Campground. Drive up Winslow Hill rd, stop at Visitor's Center. Might be some there. Back out to Winslow Hill Rd, right turn up the hill keeping your eyes open in the open areas. There is a look out on the left and just past that a dirt road that goes downhill on the left, Dewey Rd. Go down there and check as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Great scenary everywhere you look up there. Head up to George B. Stevenson Dam. You can pull off and get a great view of the lake and its surroundings. You may run into a bald eagle or two also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RB,
We are staying at Wapiti Woods. In fact, I think i recommended them to you.
We stayed there a couple of years ago. I was just looking for something different for her to photograph. Something away from the crowd.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Lots of elk on Winslow Hill right now. We didn't see any bulls but a spike up there, but I bet there were 80-100 cows/calves. Also, lots of turkeys and a few deer. Just not many deer in that part of the world. You would think there would be, with all the habitat work.
The bulls are somewhere, and the locals will know where. We did see a raghorn near the Medix Run Bar.
The elk should be out, unless it is windy. They don't like wind. Not much food in the woods up there this year. The elk will be around grassy areas.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If you are coming up Rt 255 from DuBois to Penfield start looking for them in the fields before you get to Penfield. There has been a herd down there on a regular basis. PGC is going to be trapping them and moving them to Quehana. Once you go thru Penfield continue to watch for them the rest of the way along 255 onto Rt 555. There have been over 20 hit by cars in the last couple months mainly along Rt255. Typically you can travel 555 from Benezzette to Driftwood and get picture of Deer, Turkey and elk. I live in the area and may be able to help depending what is going on next weekend. Send me a Pm later in the week.

·
Registered
10,707 Posts
My wife and I were there on Tuesday. It was pretty foggy but we still saw 106 elk. A couple spikes and small bulls but 5 really big bulls. Rest were cows and calves. About half were scattered up across Winslow Hill. 12 were right in Benezette. The rest were scattered along 555 from Caledonia to Hicks Run. Also a couple up the hill from the Medix Hotel. Shouldn't be hard to find some.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
1A archer said:
RB,
We are staying at Wapiti Woods. In fact, I think i recommended them to you.
We stayed there a couple of years ago. I was just looking for something different for her to photograph. Something away from the crowd.
We loved it too...

·
Registered
470 Posts
1Aarcher, venture up to Kinzua State Park and photograph the train bridge that was destroyed in a tornado like 10-12 years ago, its in McKean county, and its not that far away from Benezette. Also, Tom MIX's , the cowboy movie star, homeplace is close to Benezette too, but I remember the road was old and winding, dont know how the roads will be, nice site to explore though. Austin Dam ruins also is an awesome photo destination. The best pictures will be the ones that just "happen", instead of planning !! Have A great time !! Lonnie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts