The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I are getting a cabin for a guys weekend full of fishing and relaxing in late april up there. The problem is we are kind of clueless as to where to fish, does anyone have any suggestions or places to start at? Stocked or Brookie streams? Any info at all is appreciated. Thanks a ton

·
Registered
987 Posts
You will have no trouble finding good fishing in that area. If you like fishing big water, head up to the Driftwood branch of Sinnemahoning. I've fished there on opening day for the last 10 years and can honestly say I love it. There are lots of spots that are off the beaten path that hold plenty of fish. On your way up to Sinnemahoning, you'll cross Hicks Run. It's a small stream that holds natives and is stocked with brookies and I believe some browns. If you don't mind driving a little further north towards Renova, you can fish Kettle Creek. It's about a 60-70 minute drive to the northern section of the stream. It gets stocked with Brookies, Browns and Rainbows. The First Fork of Sinnemahoning is also a great trout stream. It's a little smaller than the Driftwood Branch, but it has a lot of deep water. Oh, and just south of Bennezette is Medix Run, which is stocked with Brookies and holds natives. I only fished it a couple times so I don't know much about it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Any of the above places are good, Medix is highly accessable and gets hit hard. Wycoff Run is another beautiful creek that has some of the best trout stream scenery I have ever seen.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The above posts are spot on... I have fished all these streams and they all will produce. Don't forget to stop at the Medix Inn for a cold one...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
stevespag said:
The above posts are spot on... I have fished all these streams and they all will produce. Don't forget to stop at the Medix Inn for a cold one...
Yep! Medix Hotel, Benezette Hotel, The Willows, Wharton General Store. All fine eateries...or... gin joints.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With only a couple days to fish which of the above would you guys make a "must try" to start out with for my first trip up. I appreciate all the suggestions, you guys as always are very helpful!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
We had a workday on state gameland yesterday and the land manager informed us that the fish commission will be stocking Bennetts branch this year. With the focus of cleaning up the waterway in the last couple years they installed a treatmetn plant in Tyler/Hollywood that has brought the stream from A ph of 4.? up around 7. It will be an intersting summer.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Yeah, I think it begins back by Penfield and dumps in with the Driftwood Branch at Driftwood. Runs the length of 555.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Driftwood Branch and the First Fork are bigger water and disperse the crowd on first day. Hicks and Medix are smaller creeks but are hit abit harder by anglers on the first weekend.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great to hear the Bennetts branch is cleaning up and making a come back. Even better to hear that they're stocking it. Been looking at it since the mid 60's, everytime I drove up 555 imagining how nice it would be to have it sustaining fish. Theres alot of creek from Tyler to Driftwood.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
The PFBC website's trout stocking info shows that it will be stocked from the confluence with the South Branch down to the confluence with Wilson Run, which is at Penfield. That is in the way upstream part of the Bennett Branch, and I believe it's the same section they traditionally stocked.

Are you sure they are going to stock from there on downstream to the lower stretches this year?

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I was under the impression that it is to become a wild trout fishery.

http://www.outdoornews.com/September-2012/Trout-river-reborn-in-the-PA-Wilds/

Significantly, the water flowing from the deep mines is a cool 52 degrees F., perfect for supporting a wild-trout fishery.

John Arway, executive director of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, called the prospect “unique.”

“We can’t chill water for a trout stream, so we don’t get many opportunities to create a wild-trout fishery,” he said. “This is a major development for the northcentral region.
Now that the mine discharge is no longer toxic, Arway estimates that it won’t take long for aquatic life to return to the Bennett Branch.

“Typically the biological response you see first starts with macro invertebrates, that reproduce several times a year,” he said. “We will let those organisms determine when and how we begin actively managing the stream.

“We have to be fairly confident that the stream is stabilized and the macro invertebrates are starting to recover, just to make certain that the fish we will stock are not at risk of some failure.

“Those trout are expensive, and we will be making a significant investment, so we’ll let DEP work the bugs out of the treatment process.”

After that, the Fish & Boat Commission plans to add the stream to the stocking rolls. How long it takes for trout to begin reproducing on their own and sustaining a wild population is anyone’s guess, Arway conceded.

“I expect that in a year or so, we will be in a good position to make a decision on stocking trout – maybe even sooner than that.”

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
ChrisLD said:
With only a couple days to fish which of the above would you guys make a "must try" to start out with for my first trip up. I appreciate all the suggestions, you guys as always are very helpful!
I think it all comes down to what type of fishing you like more. Big water, definitely the driftwood branch. Smaller water, the possibilities are almost endless. I would definitely recommend wycoff or medix. They might be slow or might be hot, depends on the pressure, but the scenery is second to none.

I dont know anything about fishing Bennetts branch, but like was said from others, it sure is a good lookin stretch.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Fishfeathers said:
Great to hear the Bennetts branch is cleaning up and making a come back. Even better to hear that they're stocking it. Been looking at it since the mid 60's, everytime I drove up 555 imagining how nice it would be to have it sustaining fish. Theres alot of creek from Tyler to Driftwood.
Lived a mile from it over 40 years near Weedville. They have done a lot of work in the last 10 or so years cleaning up the streams feeding into it. Tyler was the main problem. There have been some bass in it the last couple years but this year is like a dream come true.
Medix Run get hammered. Sections wired to allow stocked fish to move out of those areas teo replenish the stream above and below the wire. I favor Hicks run but depending on the weather you do need to be aware of rattle snakes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts