The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any major benefits to one or the other? major differences in the way they shoot? Is there an advanatage to one or the other?

I'm shooting .490's with 80gr of FFF... I noticed my dad has both .490 and .495 RB's.. we shot his in with .490's, but was wondering if there would be any difference with the .495's...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think the only difference would be that the bigger ball would give you less options in patch size.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Try them both and also every patch and powder combo and go with what gives the tightest group.It all depends on how that bore was cut.
I have a 36cal that likes a .360 RB.
Also have a 45cal that likes a .451 RB.

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
Some bores are tighter than others. with deeper round ball rifling a thick patch is often required to seal the grooves. Otherwise it is often just finding a combination that seals the bore, whether it be a .490 or .495.

Some rifling is such that only a palm bruising combination that swages the round ball into the rifling will work to seal the bore. Other rifling seals the bore just fine with hardly any effort to start the patch/ball combination.

The older TC 1;48 Hawken bores could shoot fine with either size ball due to the rifling depth.

Some folks shoot patched round balls in bores meant for conical bullets, and fair accuracy can be had with moderate loads and very tight combinations to grip the shallow fast twists.

For hunting accuracy and production gns there often is not a huge difference so long as the combination seals the bore.

·
Premium Member
24,023 Posts
When i used to shoot 50 caliber flinters i always used the .490 roundball. I had TC's and found the .495 was very difficult to load especially if you reload in the field(w/fouled bbl). Used .018 pillow ticking patches. Stayed with the .490 since it performed very well for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts