The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually the plastic table was nice for easy wipe off and clean up. but I put 3 coats of spar urethane on the plywood so I don't have to worry about it. I think another vise somewhere for building rifles, plus I needed the strength for a press for loading blackpowder cartridge ammo.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
actually the plastic table was nice for easy wipe off and clean up. but I put 3 coats of spar urethane on the plywood so I don't have to worry about it. I think another vise somewhere for building rifles, plus I needed the strength for a press for loading blackpowder cartridge ammo.
As long as its coated/waterproofed, that table will last a long time. Even if it gets beat up, only the top will need replacing. That is why I always use drywall screws, counter sunk to secure the top down. If and when it needs to be replaced, its a simple matter of unscrewing the top, discarding it, then replacing it with a new one.

I replaced the top on my table when we first moved into our house. The top the previous owner had on it was stained and beat to heck from God only knows what. I replaced with with a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, that I routed a nice edge to. I then coated with about 3 or 4 coats of clear poly. Its been 15 years and that top is showing no signs of needing replacement yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I put tempered hardboard ontop of my bench. It's pretty tough stuff. Fairly cheap...if/when it's destroyed, I will screw another piece on top.

Makes a nice durable bench top IMO.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I just used 1/2" OSB. I screw things into it all the time to secure while I'm working. When it gets too rough I zip the screws out and toss on another piece. Oh, and I sized it so all I do is rip a sheet in half... the next top is waiting in the rafters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts