The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this twin hen back in the 90's after Ben's death. I still have the original box it came in and have never used it. Anyone know if these are collectable. I am torn between hunting with it and just keeping it in mint condition.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I had an old Ben Lee call from the late 1960s or early 1970s signed by him. Recently gave it to my son. Told him it is probably worth a few dollars.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I would use it. Right after his accident it was worth some money, now I see them on ebay for $50.00 infact one right now and no bids number 299-1000. jmo Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sp Boss, Here is a picture of the box. My dad owned a archery shop in Beaver county years ago and my dad had ordered this box call for me, so i am not sure where he ordered it from.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jec turkeydad said:
I would use it. Right after his accident it was worth some money, now I see them on ebay for $50.00 infact one right now and no bids number 299-1000. jmo Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the info, i did check out the box on E-bay and it is numbered. The box i have has no numbers, but it looks like they are not that collectable

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks!! I'm not sure who made the commemoratives. Ben Jr. was in the call buisness for a while after Ben's death and maybe he had a run of them made. If it sounds good hunt with it. If not just keep it or pass it on to a kid that could use one for practice.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think that the call maker would want the call to be used for it's intended purpose rather than stuck away for it's dollar value. At least use it to call in a nice bird and retire it with a nice fan display. If I was a call maker watching down from above thats how I would want to see things happen.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have two Ben Lee calls that are retired now. They were signed by Ben and after the accident. I never used them any more. Just kept them as a collectable. Ben could tell stories as long as you listened. He use to be at the Bow Festival in Forksville and Harrisburg Sport Show and at many other NWTF sponsored shows in PA. He came here a lot. Nice guy when you could get him one-on-one.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
SP, well said, I enjoyed all my conversations with him and learned a lot from him. He left us way to early.

·
Registered
826 Posts
rsmithpa said:
SP, well said, I enjoyed all my conversations with him and learned a lot from him. He left us way to early.
Yes, he was way to full of life to leave so soon!!

·
Banned
152 Posts
use that! im 28 now, since i was 12 i have killed a spring gobbler every year except 1 year and 2 since it has been in place, of all those birds i would say 1/2 of them were lured in with that call my dad had, unfortunatly from so much use his cracked, still works and is still killing birds! USE THAT CALL, youll be posting pics for us im sure to see the results!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I personally wouldnt use it, the fact that you have the original box in good shape that it came in means alot to collectors. Ben loved coming here to PA, he had alot of friends here and was quite fond of the Rohm boys, and he entered alot of contests here, and later in his short life, judged alot of contests too. HE was a real good friend of Fred Bear, and the fact that this call came from your fathers archery business is a two fold plus, it could have been one that bear archery put out in honor of BEN, AND TWO, it came from a businesss that your father owned. BEN LEE made calls for bear archery to resell, and shortly after his death, alot of companies cashed in on his name, it took his son like 7 years to get the rights to make calls under his name, and he still sells items on ebay regularly that hes still digging out of Bens shop.He goes by (benrodgerslee) on ebay, get on there and send him a private message, I've talked too him several times about products and he is always been accomidating with answers. I just think if you hunt it and something happens to it , tou]ll regret yourself someday. Good luck with whatever you decide, and if you kill a turkey with it, WE want to see the pics !!

·
Registered
470 Posts
To follow up on the earlier post I made concerning this call, I spoke with Ben Lee Jr. and those boxes were made in 1992, after bens death, by Wellington Outdoor Products, and he was unable to confirm who approved their construction. it could have been another family member. it does however have some collectibility value, according to THE TURKEY CALL COLLECTORS' GUIDE, a book by George Denka JR. In there, 3 calls have been reported as being sold with an "average" price of $130.00 and it carries a (M+) as to its collectibility interest. And of another note of interest, Ben Lee JR. has one on ebay now, one he says he listed upon my inquiry about the call, he has listed it at a starting bid of $ 85.00 . I'd pack it away for 10 more years .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts