The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm going to get started trapping coyote this winter and looking for some simple guidance on 2 questions.

1. Seems that there is some hesitation between recommending #2 all the way through #4 Long spring foot holds for coyotes. Just looking for an "ask the audience" type feedback here. What are your thoughts?

2. I would highly prefer to not do the initial dye and waxing jobs... Do you know where I can procure some decent used equipment?

Thank you very much in advance

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
I'm a new trapper as well. Caught a couple fox/coyote last year. Just curious, any chance of a fox at your sets as well?
I used Bridger #2's (fully modified) and MB 550's last season and held everything from coons to coyote.
I didn't dye/wax my traps. Just boiled the grease off them, some I ran through the dishwasher, and used dip. This year I picked up a jug of Full Metal Jacket to use on some of my traps as well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I use #2 victors, and 1.75 northwoods with my coyote sets. I use all 1.5 for my fox and coon sets. I have never had a problem yet.

You can look on pennswoods.net for used traps. The place that i use is trapperman.com. You can find everything on there from a mouse trap to a grizzly bear trap. you have to create an acount, but its an awsome trapping site.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beagler/MossCreek, thank you very much for the leads. I'll check them out for sure.

·
Registered
972 Posts
You say winter trapping coyotes, how much snow do you get? I see you are northwest Pa, I am guessing lots of snow. Go as big as you feel comfortable with. 6.5" is max here so that is what I would be planting. You cannot expect a small trap to get a good hold in serious snowy conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts