The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls. I am very interested in trying my hand at canning various vegetables and some fruits this year. I love any pickled veggies so that is a priority. Can anyone please tell me what equipment I need to get started right, and I would like to buy quality merchandise. So, please. Any help would surely be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
A water bath canner with a rack, some jars, lids, and rings, and you should be pretty much good to go for fruits and vegetables.........

The Ball Blue Book is a good book for recipes, and such with regards to canning things....

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
An out door stove so the house doesn't become a sauna.

A pressure cooker helps speed up times.

Frankly, between the cost of jars, lids, the extra labor and time involved, it is a heck of a lot less work to freeze produce. Freezing does require a lack of outages or a back up generator, but many canned goods can't take hard freezing temps either. We canned everything for a few years and then realized how much easier it is to freeze things. We even freeze extra eggs and end of the season tomatoes. A few things just do better canned. Like home made pasta sauce. But frankly, I can buy better pasta sauce cheaper at the discount stores than we can make. We do have three 17 cu ft freezers.

The canning jar and lid companies do have lots of helpful hints and instructions on their web sites. When we do can, it is on an 80 year old kerosene stove on an enclosed porch. keeps the heat out of the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts