The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
27,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recent threads our HuntingPa Beekeepers have shared with us their experiences in capturing swarms, and they've been very generous also about sharing their knowledge about Beekeeping.
Judging by the interest shown in those threads it seems that our members do have an interest in Beekeeping, so today I'm posting this video. It's a bit long but it contains a ton of knowledge by David Burns who is a certified master beekeeper.
In the video Dave opens and inspects a hive that he set up as an experiment. It's much taller that a standard hive, but that benefits us because the various operations that normally take place in close quarters are stretched out and more easily identifiable to those of us who don't get to see this sort of thing very often.
Okay, here we go!
Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
I never like to open a hive on a day like that. When bees are working hard, they don’t pay any attention to you. Go into a hive on a day when they’re not flying, they’re hanging out in the hive with nothing to do. The minute you open the hive, you just gave them something to do....

I won’t use 10 frame deeps for honey supers. Those boxes weigh up about 80 pounds when full. To heavy to mess with. I’m surprised he doesn’t use inner covers...keeps bees from glueing down outer cover to frames.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts