The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cooked a beef tongue this past week. I took it to the health club and five of us ate it all. It was fantastic. I slow cooked it for about 6 hours and then let it cool. I peeled the skin off and then I heated it up again before taking it to the club. I bought good fresh Kaiser Rolls and then some good seasoned mustard. Then I bought mayonaise with horse radish in it. Everyone loved it.
Now this week one of the guys is bringing in Tripe. So last week we ate the tongue and next week we eat the intestines. No wonder we are all healthy at the health club.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Tripe is stomach, chittlings is intestines.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Thanks. Every time I have a notion to cheat on my diet I am going think of intestines, rocky mountain whateveres, boiled cows eyes and other animal parts. I expect to lose the 50 pounds I need to shed in about 3 weeks.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't think I will ever be hungry enough to eat rocky mt oysters! I have eaten turkey fries in WV which are the same thing but from turkeys and deep fried. Seems they are the big thing for get togethers down there.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw a program on TV this winter about eating turkey testicles. They are done in hot oil and are breaded. The cook said they could not keep up with the demand. I forgot how many pounds he said they sold everyday.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I know they sell a lot in WV, they come in 10 lb boxes, you know how many turleys have to die to get 10 lbs of those small things?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Personally I don't care for beef tongue but my Dad loves it. He cooked it similar to what you did but at the point where you just reheated he used to slice it, put it on a broiler pan, paint it with BBQ sauce, then broil for a very short time - just enough to carmelize the BBQ sauce.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I like both cooked tongue and smoked tongue sandwiches with deli mustard.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Smoked beef tongue sandwiches with swiss cheese and horseradish, MMMM!!! Try this twist, cook fresh tongue, slice it and put it in a container with sliced onion, vinegar and water,pepper and salt. Let it soak for a few days in the fridge and then eat it right out of the container. I loved that stuff when my mammy used to make it!! Ahh, memories!!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Nice call above on the Rocky Mountain oysters!! A farmer friend in Kutztown used to make them every summer. Very good actually, tasted sort of like breaded mushrooms.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
local butcher shop call my dad or myself when he has oysters in par boil slice thin and bread them
there is nothing better with a cold beer

·
Super Moderator
13,231 Posts
I pass on the others, but I do like beef tongue. I haven't had it in years....

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
The now-defunct West End meat market in Shamokin used to have beef tongue in their lunch meat case..It was in a jellied state like souse and I would buy a pound almost every week....Two or three slices along with mustard & bread....Nothing better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts