The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonights dinner will be Beef shanks on mashed potatoes.

I HATE FOOD TV!! Before foodtv you could by all the best cuts of meat, brisket, beef short ribs, shanks, hamhocks, and round steak, for next to nothing. Now food tv let the secret out of the bag and now instead of 99 cents a pound for thin cut round steak it is $4.99. Instead of 99 cents per pound for short ribs, they are now $3.99. You get the picture.

Started cooking these at 1 today.

Salt, Pepper, and lightly floured

Brown shanks in a little oil

Carrots, Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms, celery, Rosemary, Bay leaf,

Remove browned shanks from pan and add Veggies and spices and brown

Deglaze pan with red wine make sure you get all the brown bits from the bottom. Use a red wine or burgundy that you would drink. Don't buy junk. I prefer Bolla Valpolacella

Deglaze

Add 2 cups beef stock and return shanks to pot. I threw in some whole mushrooms.

Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to very low. Or place in the oven at 225. 4-5 hours. Serve on potatoes or polenta or noodles.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i hate you. my mouth is watering like crazy right now. I just watched a very similar preparation on triple D the other night, you need to sub out shanks with ox tails. ox tails are still cheap fyi...very similar in flavor and texture, you just need a few more of them

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Looks great, Osobucco with beef shanks instead of veal shanks. Didn't see any garlic in there,don't you use it? You are right, veal shanks used to be cheap, now they are outrageous in price. Something you may want to consider, put about two teaspoons of tomato paste in with the vegies when you saute them, give a deep flavor to the broth.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do the OX tails to. When I can find them, But now you let th cat out of the bag and they will be $8.99 tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost A lot of garlic John. I love garlic. it's below the bayleaf on the plate. Left some big cloves as well. I priced Veal shanks for it and they were $9.99. to rich for my blood.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I have never had any shanks at all...this looks REALLY good. Is the meat then like a pot roast where it flakes off? I swear I saw lamb shanks for 2.99/lb...is that reasonable? Ever eat them?

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better than a pot roast because of all the connective tissue dissolves. Lamb shanks would be awesome. The same thing with all the connective tissue. Low and slow and melt in your mouth. I don't know how well the red wine would work but everthing else....

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John S said:
Looks great, Osobucco with beef shanks instead of veal shanks. Didn't see any garlic in there,don't you use it? You are right, veal shanks used to be cheap, now they are outrageous in price. Something you may want to consider, put about two teaspoons of tomato paste in with the vegies when you saute them, give a deep flavor to the broth.
I will definately try the tomato paste. Gives me a good reason to make it again maybe saturday.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
btw, deer shanks are pretty dang good too. Most of the folks i know toss out from the elbow down on the front legs. I like to put 4 of them in a big roasting pan and have at it. kinda like lamb shanks with more flavor.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I wonder what's on our "menu" for tonight?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Gotta try it Frank, it is much better than pot roast and what I like to do is take the marrow out of the bone and spread it on a good crusty piece of bread and dip in the broth.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
nice job on the pictures, looks really good. i love ox tails too

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Ahhhhh Man.... now you got me diggin' in the deep freezer, you got my mouth waterin'!!!!

Now I gotta make something this weekend. I think it's going to be marinated Venison steaks and a batch of Venison Jerky for the weekend! It's overdue.

The dinner looks good InVenangoNow...........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts