The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Beaver

4K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Bigbrownie 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone still after Beaver?

#19 ·
Nice picture Laylow. Congratulations.

I'm in Cooncrazy's camp
I like to carry in empty feed bags for drowning weights. At location, fill with rocks or fill with dirt. Wire shut.
No extra weight to carry in or out or trapping from boat or canoe.
I took instructions from Charlie Dobbins in '89. That is were I learn how to use a feed bag for drowner.
When using wire, Charlie always turned the ends into itself, creating a very small loop. This was so a sharp wire end wouldn't poke a hole in the pelt.

#24 ·
That’s a four coiled Duke. Regular jaws. Only mod was nightlatching, brass pan bolts and extra swivels. I had this trap set near a mine drainage last month....the low PH ate the walnut hull dye off, never saw that happen before.

I really like this trap for beaver. Pa legal 6 1/2 jaws. I paid $140 for a dozen, don’t like spend too much on beaver traps as they seem to be the most common trap to get stolen. Folks can walk a waterway with a snow cover and track you to every trap.

I’ve caught 24 in these #4s this season with no pull outs.

#25 ·
Years back I trapped a crick that was rust color from mine acid. Beaver even had a reddish orangeish tint...lol
I saw the color of your trap and knew exactly 'why'. But the water is clear in pick. Now I know 'why'.
Plus I see you have feed bag for drowner.

Duke 4's are same size as Bridger 3's.

Are you setting for a back foot catch? or Does it vary per location?

24, I wouldn't want to skun & flesh for these prices. Are you nuisance trapping or are you going to tan and sell?

#26 ·
I prefer setting deeper for hind foot, but if the drowning water is questionable, I set for the front foot. I only caught one in a 330 this year...I like playing the foothold game better. I wish Pa would allow bigger traps for beaver.

Not nuisance trapping....just trying to stay busy during the winter months. No way would I skin, flesh and board a beaver to sell it for 8-12 bucks in today’s felt only market Too much work. Takes a little over 1.5 hours for me to do a beaver, start to finish. About half of my tanned hides are spoke for, l can move the rest when the wife and I are selling honey at festivals and shows. They’ll sell for $40-$65, depending on size/ quality.

I got my first 18 back from Z&L last Friday....they looked great.

#27 ·

I found some activity on a new stretch of water yesterday. The creek banks were vertical, but I found one spot where they were climbing out of the stream. There was a log in the way, so I had to wade out and run the slide cable under it, toss rock bag beyond it. Had one waiting in the blind set this morning.

#30 ·
Game Warden would stop at our place and tag my Beaver back then. Our limit was 5, then 10, now back to 5. I still have a tag or two from those days, which doesn't seem too long ago.

BB & Laylow, you ever run into a smart Beaver? Tough critter to catch.

Smart Beaver
Groundhog Adaptation Muskrat Wildlife Technology

#31 ·
I think there are beaver that take Xanax every morning for anxiety. They are that paranoid. There’s an old boy in a state park lake that comes to mind. I’ve been chasing him for the last three seasons, he lives in a small cove. On several occasions he would actually watch me from 50 yards out in the lake, like he was taking notes. He’s tail slapped me a half dozen days just to let me know he was there. I can’t find a den, he must have a hole in deep water. He wants nothing to do with castor or aspen sticks. I found a channel where he enters a small stream on occasion, and blocked it with a 330. Once he packed sticks in front of the trap, like he was trying to block it off. He’s square shy, and would sometimes leave the channel and go around the body gripper. Hang snares, they are knocked down. I have tried blind setting him, but he never leaves the water in the same place twice. I played the game with him two weeks ago, and threw in the towel after 5 nights. Looks like we’ll have to pick it up again next season.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.