1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Have 2 Coni's out for otter this week - Sometimes get a beaver in them -

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Yep. Our Beaver Fever weekend is coming up in March. Always get a couple sets out and have a good time outdoors. We try our luck at calling and just have a good time wondering around in the woods.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts

I picked up three this week, got this one this morning....56.5 lb, 6 3/8 tail. My biggest this season, 2nd best in 50 years of trapping. I still have a lot of water that I haven’t set yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts

I got this hog today in the same set that I caught one in yesterday. It was kinda funny how the check went....I was pulling my traps from this stream this morning, and this was the last set to recover. I glanced down over the bank and saw my round pan of a #3 Duke, nothing in this set. I reached down with my gaff to snag the cable and pull in the block. I hooked it and started to pull....much to my astonishment, there was a big beaver at the end of the cable.

When I glanced down over the bank, what I thought was my trap pan was actually the head a homemade stake I picked up at Port Royal. There was a big round washer welded on top of the stake that was the same diameter as my trap pan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bigbrownie I see you used one cinder block. I’m running to Lowe’s today to buy some myself to use for drowners I was planning on using two per set. Is two not needed? The less I have to carry the better

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bigbrownie I see you used one cinder block. I’m running to Lowe’s today to buy some myself to use for drowners I was planning on using two per set. Is two not needed? The less I have to carry the better
Too bad you don't live closer. I have a big pile of cinder blocks in my back yard I'm slowly getting rid of.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
If you have a silty, muddy creek bottom, one block will work fine. The block will dig into the mud and a beaver isn’t going anywhere with it. What’s critical is to keep your slide wire tight, with no kinks. Some guys use swivel bodies for slides, I prefer the L- shaped slides. I’ve known guys to use #9 iron wire....cable works much better. I use 1/8 inch galvanized, make them up 10 foot long. A loop on each end, one for the stake, one for the rock sack or block. On the stake loop, I permanently attach a 3/32 “ cable, 6 feet long with a trap tag in a loop at the far end. That way I always have a trap tag high and dry on shore.

Attempting to trap beaver with footholds ( I seldom use 330s ) without a drowning rig is a losing proposition. I’ve caught a half dozen this year by one or two back toes. If they weren’t drowned within a few minutes, they would have been gone.

·
Administrator
14,129 Posts
I'm still trapping them.

I've got two more nuisance complaints to take care of starting tomorrow.

One is down in Monroe County and the other is up in 3C.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I buy green sand bags and use either rocks or dirt.i don't like carrying them blocks around!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
walk the railroad tracks there are old metal plates every where with hole in them perfect. and they dont take up much room

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice picture Laylow. Congratulations.

I'm in Cooncrazy's camp
I like to carry in empty feed bags for drowning weights. At location, fill with rocks or fill with dirt. Wire shut.
No extra weight to carry in or out or trapping from boat or canoe.
I took instructions from Charlie Dobbins in '89. That is were I learn how to use a feed bag for drowner.
When using wire, Charlie always turned the ends into itself, creating a very small loop. This was so a sharp wire end wouldn't poke a hole in the pelt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts