The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got onto private land that has a beaver problem. My question is can you put to many sets out. I am running footholds with drownders castor mounds and bait sticks only gonna have two 330s with me. Suggestions anyone

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Check your wmu season limit. Its in the back of the book a page past trap regs it has number of snares and traps. Im not sure but I think it is 5. Better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I know what I am allowed but I'm saying if its a small area can you over set a small spot

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
don't think you can overset an area . try some blind sets , snares are my go to trap ,really never use 330's ,footholds on drowners are great also .

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
similar ,but not exactly . i look for pinch points . snare half in the water and put a gob of castor a foot or so up in the air . by habit a beaver will swim the top of water and when he smells it he will swim around searching for the source . many beaver fall victim to this set . i prefer a beaver snare to the cr .not as expensive ,and remember that you can have entanglement , different rules in the water

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i hated snares at first. now i love them. it takes a while to get used to them and they have their draw backs like anything but they are light and easy to set. i prefer to use ones with the rubber hose that slides over the #9 wire support. this year i made up some 30 in rebar stakes with about a foot of #9 wire welded to them. slide the end of the snare up the stake and stomp it in the mud, hang the business end on the support wire and adjust. a few guide sticks and your done. i like the beaver swimming through them rather than walking so i move them out farther when setting pull outs.
a couple draw backs is i dont like that 90% of the time the beaver is alive and the fact that skim ice renders them in operable.
on the plus side is when you miss one they dont get spooked as they dont know anything happened.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i dont think you can over set but you can over lure. in other words if you put in 10 of the same kind of set with the same lure and pinch one, you might get a smart one or 2 after awhile.
mix it up with a few different lures, plain bait sets, and as many good blind sets as you can find.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blind sets as in castor mounds made in a variety of locations or bait sticks I was going to try lath stips for a bait stick

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
NoMojo said:
Blind sets as in castor mounds made in a variety of locations or bait sticks I was going to try lath stips for a bait stick
blind sets would be using the animals natural movement . look for some sticks ,logs ,rocks ,etc that they are swimming around . as an example i have a spot in a stream where there is a schrub line that crosses over into another stream , look for a spot where an animal will be using to get to a certain location and hang a snare in that spot

·
Registered
177 Posts
set the slides where u can see they are going in and out of the water and pinch points IMO i would not use to much lure in one spot u will just educate them . and a smart beaver is hard to catch!!!!!! make sure u post the pic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts