The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
i wouldnt use 14 ,,,, the only thing i use 14 for is to tie my 330s or snares to poles for under ice sets.if your trying to anchor to the bank then get 3/32 cable or double up your #11 wire. there tuff critters when they have leverage.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">'Ol Alan Probst swears by 14 gauge for drowning sets in his video's.
</span>

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i use 11 gauge annealed for drowning but when short i have used 14 . i take however many feet i think i need and double it , tie off to a tree and put pliers between the loop and spin until wound up tight . works great for drowning .

·
Registered
186 Posts
CuttnRun said:
'Ol Alan Probst swears by 14 gauge for drowning sets in his video's.
well yeah ok for drowning purposes yes but i guess i just took for granted he wasnt goin to drown em lol my bad.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i wouldnt set a set with a wired trap for beaver that i wasnt going to drown unless i doubled or tripled the wire. 14ga is fine if you got enough water to drown but heavier is better.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've put a bunch of beavers down 14 gauge drowning wires and never had one break. That being said, about 5 years ago I switched to 11 gauge for beavers. Next year I'm probably going to go to a combination of drowning rods and cable drowning systems. You newer trappers need to understand that beavers are big, tough animals that will challenge your traps and your systems. Don't mess with them; use good equipment and very solid anchoring drowning/staking systems.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Bob Jamison said:
I've put a bunch of beavers down 14 gauge drowning wires and never had one break. That being said, about 5 years ago I switched to 11 gauge for beavers. Next year I'm probably going to go to a combination of drowning rods and cable drowning systems. You newer trappers need to understand that beavers are big, tough animals that will challenge your traps and your systems. Don't mess with them; use good equipment and very solid anchoring drowning/staking systems.
i agree with everything you said except that they will challenge your traps . a beaver on a slide wire will be dead whether you use a #1 or #3 . last year i posted a picture of one that weighed in the 40 lb range in a # 1 2 coil trap .once they go to the bottom they don't fight long .

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Really? Because I've pulled up bags that the wire looks like a corkscrew at the terminal end. There'd been some big happenings down there. It wasn't like a muskrat catch, that's for sure. I've got them in good catches in 330s where they are 6 feet out of the channel and there's not a bit of vegetation left on the bottom anywhere around them. And here's another reason to use big, strong traps;

56 pounder's back foot over a #3 Bridger.

And another reason to use big, strong traps;

54 pounder in a Bridger #3. That trap is mighty full.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
they don't have to be cayght by a hind foot , a front foot catch works fine when drowning , and the foot is smaller than a coon foot . shallow water with a stick poking them in the chest will get them every time .
i new i had some pics .here is one in a # 1 northwoods .dead !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts