The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I know this is a long shot but I figured I'd ask. I work in an office and need to get away for a bit of roughing it. I settled on the idea of trying beaver trapping for the first time this year. I'm in southeastern PA and so I am planning to drive at least a couple hours.

My plan is to take a long weekend after Christmas and hike into the woods and try to trap beaver. I am thinking my best bet would be state forest land since you can't camp on game lands. The trouble is that I am having a hard time finding info. I don't have much time to scout but would like to take a look around this weekend.

My question is whether someone might be able to point me in the right direction. My concern is whether the area is too close to development to be able to trap without crowding local trappers. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find some quiet where there is a decent beaver population? Maybe Loyalaock State Forest?

Thanks for any suggestions. PMs are welcome.

·
Registered
962 Posts
a bit more than a few hours, but if the weather holds and the water is not frozen I'd go to the Buzzard swamp near Marienville in the ANF. PM me if its not out of your range

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the reply, fallscity. I really want to see the ANF but have never made it yet. It's over 5 hours from me so I don't think I can swing it this trip but if it is okay, I'll message you if I can make the trip later in the season. I wished I lived out that way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Find an area you can camp along a major river. Not the easiest trapping but most rivers have a healthy population of beaver. you could just run a line along the side you are camping

1 - 4 of 4 Posts