The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a spot with ALOT of beaver sign a few weeks ago. Peeled sticks everywhere in the water. Some 8 inch trees taken down.. Couldn't find the bank den but it isn't really necessary. They're there. Or at least they were..

I went in to set it up today and there was not a single track in the snow.. Still alot of peelings around and some scat. But not a single track where they had come up onto the bank. Also did not see any castor mounds...

Here's my question. Is it common for the beaver to not come out of the water? At all? I was expecting to see at least some tracks when I went back in there today.. I made two castor mound sets and by that time it was getting dark.. We'll see what happens... I hope nobody got to em before me...

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would say that they have a food cash there and may not need to access it everyday. Make a set or two around and give it time

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
if you are seeing turds in the water , chances are they are still there . i would get some aspen or poplar and lay it on a bank , half in the water and see what happens

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lots of times they just go from the house or den to the food cache, especially once you have a bit of ice. They're in there watching the tube and taking a nap, they get lazy in the winter.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i havent see where one moved from under the new ice since the storm. except the one that swam through my snare today. they hole up in bad weather like anything else and if they have a feed bed set up they dont need to come out until they run out of food. and this snow ice makes it hard to find the bubble trails. you said you made castor mounds so you must have open water. they will come sooner or later.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Ya, the water is still open. But not for long... Which is why I wanted to get in there.. Making a food pile set would be kinda pointless since the entire shoreline is covered with peeled sticks.. Poplar mostly.. They did some serious damage in there in the summer and before this snow they were still up in the woods a good ways dragging branches into the water.. So I guess that's what's going on. They've already got enough drug into the water so they don't have to go up the hill to where they were before.. Thanks alot for the input guys. I don't know much about beaver. But I know I like catching em. Hoping to get a few out of this spot before it ices up and turns into real work. The hike outta there is enough work as it is...

"They're in there watching the tube and taking a nap, they get lazy in the winter."

That's funny right there.

I hope it's like bobcat says. Cuz when they run out of food, I know exactly where they're gonna go. And I've got it set..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I very rarely see beaver tracks in the snow, they seem to just eat on their cash they have in the water. I would bet that they are still there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts