The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have any luck with castor for fox? My bait wasn't working so I threw some muskrat, venison scrapes, and beavor castors in a jar to see if that will up my catch... Anyone have any luck with castor based baits ? Waste of time ?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
universal critter catcher.even used alone it will work.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I was just hoping I wasn't wasting time throwing this stuff into jar and calling it bait lol. I appreciate it fellas

·
Banned
618 Posts
You could catch an elephant on beaver castor. Make a post set and use only castor, works great. Put some castor along like a dirt road in the dry season the rake the area to see tracks. Everything will stop to smell it fox, yotes, cats, sqautch.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
In my experience beaver castor will attract anything. I have used it for mink with success.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Yup!! Another thing that worked excellent for me the last 2 years was mink gland lure. I caught a bunch of reds on it last year, and the year before. Have only made 2 sets this year, both can be seen from my house, for the chicken killer red that showed up in November. One had mink gland, the other had toxi-dog. The mink gland caught the red. My 6yr old dug the bed, bedded the trap and placed the lure. Was a proud daddy 2 days later!! Lol. The other trap, my 9yr old did caught 4 possum and a stray cat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Works great for fox and coon for sure. If after you dry the castor and grind it / cut it into really fine pieces we cut up a few pounds of bacon and simmer it with the castor in a pot for a while. Makes a great base for using the castor as when it cools it makes a fatty Crisco-ish paste which helps maximize the castor you get from a Beaver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts