The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad asked me to find him a "beater .22" that he can use for pests around the farm.

First thought is to go to some shops (Grices,Bob's) or hit the classifieds and look for a used very low cost but not complete junk bolt action or single shot.

Secondly, considering low cost new single shot. Bought Rossi youth matched pairs for my kids, for $99 these perform decently, and a scope can easily be mounted.

So the point of this post is to get info on the latter option. Anyone familiar with the low cost but serviceable single shot options out there? Rossi, H&R, NEF?

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Looking for a beater .22 just to keep around for vermin. The last .22 I had I sold to get a new chainsaw. I'm going to check Rte 66 Sporting Goods on the way to camp this Friday.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
look in the for sale forum
there's a model 60 semiauto for 100

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I checked that one out but occasionally, I still like to squirrel hunt so a semi isn't an option.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i picked one up last year at Dunhams sporting goods here in chambersburg for $79... it is a romanian bolt action (resembles a old "war rifle") shoots very well... mounted a scope and had my new squirrel gun for the boy...

you have one in butler as well...
as advertised in their butler flyer...
410/22 COMBO OR 20GA/22CAL MATCHED PAIR 139.99

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
keep an eye out at auctions. old .22's sell cheap. I found a very nice Stevens model 66B bolt action for $40 recently.

·
Registered
25,912 Posts
Be my advice, too. Picked up a fairly minty Savage bolt w/tube magazine at an auction a few years ago, for $50. Some of the single shot bolts only went for $35.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
for a true yard beater, a cricket or similar is hard to beat too. I really like the auction idea though. the only advantage of the cricket is that it is very small.

Why not a high end air gun?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Buckethead said:
I checked that one out but occasionally, I still like to squirrel hunt so a semi isn't an option.
I thought yer Pop needed a rifle?

Old single shot. Cheap, accurate and pretty easy to find one too boot.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swift said:
Buckethead said:
I thought yer Pop needed a rifle?

Old single shot. Cheap, accurate and pretty easy to find one too boot.
My Pop does, but so does Buckethead...

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
tough to beat the Marlin bolt, there are everywhere in used gun racks. superbly accurate.
I agree, and they used to only cost about 65 dollars, they were on sale every week in the K-Mart ad. Mine is a great shooter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Stevens 66B "Buckhorn" is my favotite .22 and I probably own 15 different .22 rifles. Got an old Weaver G4 on it and it operates & shoots like a dream, though a little heavy compared to some .22's. Ed.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would just go get a new Marlin. The last one I bought was $179 brand new. That was around 5-6 years ago. I know you are only looking for a beater, but it will work for anything you would want to use a 22 for. They will also take a good beating. The first one I bought I got from Gueiser guns in Sunbury for $130. It was blued with a synthetic stock and tube feed. I think I bought that one in 1999. It is the most accurate gun I own. I use it for everything you could want to use a 22 for, and it looks as good today as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Always thought that the Cricket would be a great gun for a trapper.. I use a hand gun when I trap but something like that would be great to dispatch animals..

I remember way back I mean way back in 1962. A person could get a J. C. Higgins 8 shot bolt action 22 for $25.00. I think Marlin made the 22 bolt actions at that time frame for Sears.
I still have that $25.00 J.C. Higgins and gee it killed crow, squirrel, ringneck, rabbits, etc etc.. So if it be a Marlin or made by Marlin...You just can't beat a Marlin bolt action 22...So if you were going to buy one used...I'd buy a Marlin or a J. C. Higgins 22 bolt action from yesteryear.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is where we ended up. H&R Sportster .22LR. Very happy with it overall as a "utility" rifle. The heft was a bit of a surprise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts