The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the warmer weather is probably playing havoc with their hibernating . blame it on climate change. everything else is affected as well.:grin2:>:)
I was splitting wood the other day and noticed I couldn't pick up the 20 inch diameter chunks onto the splitter. Gravity must be changing to, used to toss em around all day.

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
Some plants in the wood behind my place showed green on March 1. The bulb plants in our gardens are beginning to come up. Raccoons raided my suet feeders last night. These events are 10-20 days earlier than usual here.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
the warmer weather is probably playing havoc with their hibernating . blame it on climate change. everything else is affected as well.:grin2:>:)

I crossed a bears tracks in Jan and Feb. this year. There's always a few old boys that never go down if they are eating okay but this year I think quite a few were up and moving when they usually wouldn't be.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Next thing you know the young men's fancy will turn to love... guess that leaves me out. :grin2:

You don't want to go down that road any way loridr. First thing you know there will be sex and that leads to kissing and before you know it you'll have to talk to her. >:):grin2:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was splitting wood the other day and noticed I couldn't pick up the 20 inch diameter chunks onto the splitter. Gravity must be changing to, used to toss em around all day.
Noticed that myself. Strange things going on. The hills have gotten steeper and distances longer. I believe Pat McManus wrote an excellent article on those changes several years back.

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
I have seen male bears out during every month of the year. Bears are not true hibernators so it is not at all uncommon to have males out now or even earlier if the weather is good and they are able to find enough food. If the weather gets bad again and/or they aren't able to find food they might go back down for another week or two though.

Females with cubs are going to be down until late March or even into the first week of April regardless of the weather and food conditions. They aren't going to leave the den until the cubs are big enough to travel with the sow.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next is to figure out how to keep the big Rats from busting up my feeders so I don't have to keep putting them away every night.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts