The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should probably ask this question in the trail cam forum as well but what is it about trail cameras that bears just like to rip them down and destroy?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Not sure, had the same problem myself on a few occasions. Had them scratch, move and even break some. Also had bears rip the foam out of 3 of my loggy bayou treestands and shred the foam up into a thousand pieces. And had 1 bear climb a big pine to rip the seat out of my api hang-on stand and bend it. Don't know what it is with the foam either.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Not sure but they seem to find mine where ever I put them. I wonder if its considered baiting if I hunt over my trail camera, because they sure love to chew on them!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ive had bear on every cam i put out this year. Luckily none of them were damaged to bad but without fail i get pics of bear mouthing the cam or face to face with it. Funny about the stands my brother has had that happen too.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hmmmmm.....
Me thinks maybe them bears don't like hunters...

actually ,it's probably just their curiosity .

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've been told that either the click of the shutter or a buzzing sound emmitted by cameras is what causes them to attack cameras they may think there are bees inside

·
Registered
36,346 Posts
I was at Cabela's about 2 years ago and looking at trail cams. I noticed there was a small group of guys listening to a man talking; it turned out he was a representative from of the trail cam companies, think it was Moultrie. The bear question came up and he said always wear gloves when touching your cam. He said it's your scent and oil off your hands that draws them to the camera. I once put a birdhouse about 10' off the ground in a pine tree that I could see from the cabin window. A couple days later I see this bear walking near the pine tree and then stops. He sticks his nose in the air like he's smelling something and stands up for a better smell. Goes straight over to the tree, stands up again and destroys the birdhouse.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have had the same problem. A few days ago a friend gave me advice on how to solve this problem.

Take some double-sided tape and tape the sides of your camera, sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it and refresh as needed. The bears learn fast not to mess with the camera!

My friend has been doing this for about two years and hasn't had a problem. Prior to that he has lost three cameras.

I have lost one CuddyBack, but will not lose another!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
295 Posts
wont that also deture any other animal coming into the area?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nope not from the experience of my friend and the evidence of this years trail cam pictures. It is interesting to note that bears were frequenting the area even after the pepper was placed on the cams.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
MonsterBuck7 said:
Not sure, had the same problem myself on a few occasions. Had them scratch, move and even break some. Also had bears rip the foam out of 3 of my loggy bayou treestands and shred the foam up into a thousand pieces. And had 1 bear climb a big pine to rip the seat out of my api hang-on stand and bend it. Don't know what it is with the foam either.
If I were you, the next time I came across a bears den I would get in there and destroy it just to get even.....

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Copperhead said:
I should probably ask this question in the trail cam forum as well but what is it about trail cameras that bears just like to rip them down and destroy?
I assumed they dont like their pictures taken so I got a bear box for the one location where I constantly had bears tearing cams off the trees!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts