The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hitting the deer woods hard but seeing few deer or any rut action at all. Thursday afternoon I could some birds talking across the valley from my stand. I always carry a call with me when turkey is open so I let out a few kee kees and yelps. The group answered me back once than they went silent. They were a long was off so I figured that was the end of that.

About an hour later I caught three red heads below me. Three longbeards fed past but about 20 yards too far away. Shortly thereafter, a black shape caught me eye as a hen popped up on a log at 30 yards staring my way. I did my best to blend into the tree. She settled down, hopped off the log, and started feeding. The other seven joined her and I waiting till the stepped into one of my shooting lanes at 24 yards.

I held for the wing butt and the arrow flew true to its mark. She never took another step. She had a 5 inch beard. Taken in 2A, Washington County.
Horton Vortec RDX
Black Eagle arrow
Swhacker 2 blade
Nock Out lighted nock

Attachments

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats! What kind of damage does that broadhead do to meat?
If you hit them in the vitals, very little. The breast sits low on a turkey. I aim for the wind butt. A hit there will break one or both wings and punch through the vitals, sparing most, if not all of the breast meat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts