The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to being in bear country so I don't know what I was seeing. The bear was around almost every night or morning. It's back end fur was fairly thin. Is that mange. How bad is that for the bear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again, being new to bears, why would the game commission want to know? Is it contagious? How harmful is it to the bear? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,918 Posts
Bears should have thin hair now, it is summer. If they don't loose their winter coat, and that happens once in a while, they will over heat in the summer and that can actually be harmful and even kill them in some cases.

Mange is usually going to have some white scale visible on the bear where the hair is thin. If a bear has mange it is highly contagious and can affect other bears and even people from simply making contact with places the infected animal has rubbed. Scarcoptic mange can live off of the host for a long time so it is always a concern. It can also become so bad it frequently kills the infected animal. The good news is that if caught in the early stages it is pretty easy to cure with the proper dose of ivermectin.

In your case though there is probably no need to call the Game Commission unless you start seeing the bear regularly and determine that it does indeed have manage. If you determine it is mange and bear becomes a frequent visitor call the Game Commission and they will try to treat the bear before it gets too bad and they have to put the bear down.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
46 Posts
I saw 3 different bears near home this weekend one I say one over 300 lb the other 2 around 200 lb. all three covered in mange. My friend over along Shade mtn. sent me a picture of a huge one that was covered with mange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts