The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It's a GPS collar. The GPS collars track bear movements by relaying hourly data of the collared bears. Someone's doing a research study. Maybe Penn State??? In conjunction with the GC??? The GC will micro chip bears but I've never known them to use this type of GPS collar. The collar can also be remotely removed from the bear, and then researchers simply walk in and pick them up.

·
Super Moderator
13,805 Posts
It looks like a typical bear collar to me. They collar bears for a number of reasons. There were and possibly still are bears being collared to track how far they are traveling in and around metropolitan areas of the state. There are also a number of sows collared so they can locate the dens in the winter to tag the cubs and also in case they need a sow to introduce orphaned cubs with.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It looks like a typical bear collar to me. They collar bears for a number of reasons. There were and possibly still are bears being collared to track how far they are traveling in and around metropolitan areas of the state. There are also a number of sows collared so they can locate the dens in the winter to tag the cubs and also in case they need a sow to introduce orphaned cubs with.

Dick Bodenhorn
Does the GC use those collars, RSB? I've only ever seen research teams use them, and have only seen the GC ear tag, and microchip.

·
Super Moderator
13,805 Posts
It is hard to tell in the picture but it looks very much like the collars the PGC provided and I and other WCOs put on bears for research purposes.

The fact that we can't see ear tags on the bear though makes it somewhat uncertain.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I hate seeing this junk jewelry on wild animals. Seems to me we have tagged, micro chipped and collard enough Pa bears to learn all there is to know and then some. You gotta move them, I understand that...........kinda. There was just a bear trapped and moved form down the road from me. The lady told the GW it charged her. No it didn't. It was running for the woods and went right by her. People move out into bear country and then get mad when their bird feeders are raided or their trash is knocked all over. Its bear country, you don't like it? Move back to town.

·
Administrator
14,439 Posts
It's a GPS collar. The GPS collars track bear movements by relaying hourly data of the collared bears. Someone's doing a research study. Maybe Penn State??? In conjunction with the GC??? The GC will micro chip bears but I've never known them to use this type of GPS collar. The collar can also be remotely removed from the bear, and then researchers simply walk in and pick them up.
That's a typical collar that we use on bears for research.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks guys. I've been privy to a few bears being processed and relocated but have never seen them collared. Thanks for the education.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
Seems to me we have tagged, micro chipped and collard enough Pa bears to learn all there is to know and then some. You gotta move them, I understand that...........kinda. \
Agreed. Bears are perhaps the most over studied animals in the state. Plus mandatory physical checking of every animal.

·
Super Moderator
13,805 Posts
Agreed. Bears are perhaps the most over studied animals in the state. Plus mandatory physical checking of every animal.
There are a number of reasons besides research when collars are used on bears. We always tried to keep a number of female bears on each of the two year breeding cycle collared so we could find bears with cubs. That was important for two reasons. One reason was to tag bears so good population estimates could be maintained. The other reason was because every year there are a number of orphaned cubs that come into the hands of the WCOs. That abandonment can be anything from den disturbances that cause sows to abandon their cubs to sows hit and killed on the highways. Because there are a number of collared sows in the various areas of the state they are able to introduce those abandoned cubs to a new mother. The other option would be t put the cubs down or simply let them die when their mother is lost. That would not be a popular practice so having collared sows is a benefit to the resource.

I also used collars on injured bears I wanted to be able to keep track of on a few occasions. I believe all of those collars were recovered within a year when I dealt with the bear, either living or dead, the next time.

As for the law requiring all harvested bears being checked that is biggest part of the process for population estimates. Without good population data it would not be possible for the Game Commission to withstand a court challenge on even having a bear season. It is because of the good population estimate process that we don't see our bear seasons being challenged through the court system by the anti-hunters.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, when the PGC wanted to open the bear season after they closed it to get a better handle on the population and the fund for animals sued in federal court to keep the season closed, it was the copious data that convinced the court that the PGC was the proper entity to decide if there would be a bear season and kicked the Fund for Animals to the curb!

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
Over studied and way too many resources dedicated to a resource that is doing very well in this state.

I wonder how we would defend other populations estimates for the rest of the game animals that do not have mandatory checking?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I doubt the Judge that allowed the reopening of bear season thought that bears were over researched! on what knowledge do you base your opinion?

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
I doubt the Judge that allowed the reopening of bear season thought that bears were over researched! on what knowledge do you base your opinion?
I wonder how we would defend other populations estimates for the rest of the hunted game animals that do not have mandatory checking?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If we ever got our general assembly to pass a right to hunt law, we wouldn't have to wonder about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts