The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every bear rug i have ever seen in person has a felt lining under it. i find this to be incredibly hideous.

do they make anything else for this job that looks better and is more durable or just as durable?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You could do black felt.......or probably any other material, it is just on there as backing......

I personally don't mind the felt......

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I think the idea around the felt backing is to make the bear look bigger then it is optical elusion.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not trying to offend anyone here as it is apparent most people prefer felt...I just can't describe it. when I think of felt, I think of first grade art projects and furniture movers. I don't like the feel or the look. I wonder if I can just get a nice stretched brown cow hide

·
Administrator
28,226 Posts
muskyman62,
It's your bear and you're the one that's gonna have to look at it for a long time to come, so put it on what's pleasing to your eye.

(Might not look half bad on a piece of faded denim)

·
Registered
255 Posts
The gal I use offers a Leather Looking border and then backs it with felt....p/m me and I'll get you a pic

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think leather is exactly what i am preferring.....nice sewn in leather....none of that hot glue crap that doesn't work worth a dang.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out Jordan's Bear Den. I had them rug my 250# archery sow last year. They had, I'm guessing 12 or more colors to choose from. I chose black and sage green. The felt is only around the edge, the actual back is a canvas type material. I was very happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but you are missing my point....I don't want to see felt, I don't want to feel felt....lol

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I'm with you muskyman. I think felt detracts from the rug as well and have never been a fan. I know the backing helps a lot with the rug but if I ever get one done I would probably go with no border at all. I think that looks more like you would expect to see it anyway. I'd probably have them back it with black felt just to make it more sturdy and then cut it right up to the edge of the skin. That way you have the backing but would see none of it as the fur should cover it all.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i am with you 110%. felt looks like crap! lol...i would just rather look at the bear. i really think some type of nice thick tanned leather would look much better and last a whole lot longer. now, i could see felt going under that to prolong the life of it so long as it wasnt visible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts