The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a black bear meat recipe to share? I was just given about 30lbs of ground black bear and have no idea how to cook it. Is it worthy of sausage?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Use the burger for spaghetti, sloppy joes or make patties out it. I had some sausage made out of mine, but added 1/3 pork. Its got a good flavor, but probably a little too lean/dry, but I trim all the fat I can off my bear meat because the fat has a strong taste I don't like. A little more pork/fat should take care of that though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
you would have to add pork to make the sausage as the meat is too lean and would not stay intact for it.

Best bet is to use it for spaghetti sauce or chili.... just fry it with some oil and add to the mix...
and like bigbear said, trim as much fat as you can off the meat before cooking...... GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY

·
Registered
561 Posts
Do you have any non-ground bear meat? I have an excellent stew recipe. Let me know and I will post. In the meantime...

I made meatloaf with ground bear and deer and someone told me that is called BEER Loaf. :)

Take 1 pound of each meat. Mix a small diced onion, stalk of celery diced, 1/2 cup milk, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup breadcrumb, 1.5 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, couple splashes worcestershire. Mix and form into a loaf in casserole dish. Put can of cream of mushroom soup on top. Cover and bake 400 for an hour.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
almost forgot about bear meatload. one of my favorites.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts