The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and both got bears last week in New Brunswick. I have eaten bear before but I am looking for new ways to use the meat to make different things.

Anybody have any recipes they would like to share? Opinions? Statements?

I was thinking Chili and Meatballs with the burger.......

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Crock pot or slow cooker, bear roast, 1 cup red wine, 1cup beef broth, 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste, 1 or 2 onions, 1lb mushrooms sliced on top. Cook on low 8 hrs (or high 3 or 4 hrs) remove bear and keep warm in oven and remove bay leaves, turn up to high and thicken broth for gravy with cornsarch or flour. Serve with cooked noodles or mashed potatoes.

I have never given this to anyone that didn't like it and all were surprised when I said it was bear.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bear Stew

1 1/2 - 2 pounds stew meat (bear or venison works well)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water (omit if you use 24 oz. tomatoes)
1/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 medium onion cut lengthwise and sliced thin
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic minced
1 bay leaf
2 medium baking potatoes

Combine flour, marjoram, salt, pepper in a food storage bag. Shake.
Add meat and shake to coat. Heat oil on medium-high heat until hot. Brown the meat in oil.
Add all remaining ingredients but potatoes. Heat to boil. Reduce to simmer for one hour stirring occasionally.
Cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Add potatoes. Heat to boil. Reduce to simmer for one hour stirring occasionally.
Discard bay leaf before serving.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Never met a bear that should not have been given away

·
Registered
561 Posts
My cousin shot a bear and gave me some bear steak. I grilled it - big mistake. I chewed and chewed and chewed - spit it out and it looked like when it went in. Swore I would never eat bear again.

So when he shot a second one I tried that recipe above. As a result - send me all the bear you want. Was excellent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts