The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a black bear Hunt (5 to 7 days) . The group of 8 would prefer meals be provided and hope to keep cost between $1,700 and $2,000 if possible. I will be hunting with some seasoned hunters (2) and some not so seasoned ones (5). The majority of the groups biggest concern is the opportunity for success. The goal of this trip would to have a good time with friends and a camp with a high historical success rate. Any input on what is better, a spring or fall hunt, would be appreciated. This trip would be for 2016. Any recommendations for an outfitter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
340 Posts
W.T.outfitter danford lake quebec 2 1/2 hrs north of thousand islands great place go there every year have been for 8 yrs.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Bear outfitter help? Maine

7mm STW said:
W.T.outfitter danford lake quebec 2 1/2 hrs north of thousand islands great place go there every year have been for 8 yrs.
7mm stw... do they provide meals?
Do they handle cleaning and preparing the bear for transport home?
What kind of success rate did you experience?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Update. Due to couple friends not wanting to go to canada our search is limited to Maine.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts

Turnpike Ridge Outfitters out of Ashland, Maine. Hunted with Don three times and harvested 3 bears 400, 250, and 225. One of the best in the Great Northern Woods.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

big28hunter said:
Turnpike Ridge Outfitters out of Ashland, Maine. Hunted with Don three times and harvested 3 bears 400, 250, and 225. One of the best in the Great Northern Woods.
Thanks for the input. Someone else semt me a pm for them also. I will put them on the short list.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts

He is also at the Harrisburg Show in the main hall if you attend that event. Best of luck to you! Good huntin'

·
Registered
494 Posts

I would highly recommend Bear Paw outfitters in Bathurst New Brunswick. He doesn't go to shows but has a great hunt in your price range. Can take 8 guys . We went this past may all 7 had chances and 5 got bears 2 others wounded but didn't recover. Great time ,good food. good accomadations and then guides and outfitter are a blast.www.bearpawoutfitter.com

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

We are limited to Maine. So far North Country Lodge is our fav at this point.

·
Registered
255 Posts

If you change your mind about Canada....We offer a Fully guided hunt with meals and lodging, in addition we take care of your bears including skinning and transportation back to the states for around $1000.00 per man. This will be our 3rd season and to date I have only had 2 hunters not get there bears. If you would like more info please P/M me...Thanks

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

BOSS said:
If you change your mind about Canada....We offer a Fully guided hunt with meals and lodging, in addition we take care of your bears including skinning and transportation back to the states for around $1000.00 per man. This will be our 3rd season and to date I have only had 2 hunters not get there bears. If you would like more info please P/M me...Thanks
Thanks for input. My hands are really tied to Maine. Talked it over with the group and more than half dont have passports. They dont really want to go through process.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Try Bounty Hunter Guide Service or Tim Barry Guide service

·
Registered
8,808 Posts

I'll be hunting with Bob Parkers Stony Brook Lodge at his home camp in Maine this September (week of the 14th). I'll report on it when I return.

I hunted his New Brunswick spring camp in spring of 2013 and had a great hunt.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Sorry this is late, computer problems! They will do whatever you want as far as meals. They are about 9 hrs. from central Pa. 460 mi. from Lewisburg area. Never hunted Maine but all pics I have seen the bear appear smaller. With W.T. you stand a chance for a large bear. Last year mine was almost 400,saw a bigger one this year! As soon as I saw him I realized how big he was and I started to shake (never happened before) The anticipation whether he was going to give me a shot got me shook up and I wasn't thinking straight. I shot him in the shoulder like a deer, I know better but like I said wasn't thinking straight! Tracked him 1 1/2 hrs. that eve then 4 1/2 hrs. next day but couldn't find him. Got a call from the outfitter couple weeks later, one of the locals that lives close to where I shot saw the biggest bear he has ever seen but it was limping in the front. Guess he will be there next year. Another guy with our group shot at three different bear, two in the same evening ! Another guy had one come in behind him, scared the ---- out of him! Should have come home with 5 or 6 bear and only got one! And yes they do take care of the retrieval and skinning, also they have a freezer to put them in. I hunt there every year and have been since 2006. I go there for deer , bear, moose and wolves. Great place , you'll fall in love with it ! They speak English in that area and the locals are terrific, we've made a lot of friends up there. Sorry this is so long but I can't say enough good about them!

·
Registered
299 Posts

FOggy mountain outfitters in Maine. we took 6 guys 3 years ago and Wayne is one of the most respected Guides for bear in the World. we did the Hunt out of Pittston farm. American Plan, all meals snacks Soda water all included PS and the Pie case and the do it yourself sandwich area is open 24/7. the week we went was 85 out and bear went Dark. 1 guy scored 1 guy missed we had to cut trip short and leave on the 3rd day of a 6 day hunt. Work but that's Life. great time Great Guides, only bad part is you take yourself out to your stand... but that can be a good thing.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks guys. Getting info from the outtfitters sugfested. Been a big help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just came back from color phase hunt in Arizona(no bear but nine elk,3 bulls) will take W.T. Outfitters in Quebec for bear any day! Guess I am spoiled !!

·
Banned
900 Posts

Take a look at my posts in the Bear hunting forum and the Traditional Black Powder forum. Katahdin Valley Outfitters in Sherman Maine. I'm also sending you a PM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts