The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some bear load recommendations for October MZLoader season. The gun I’m using is a TC Triumph.50 cal. I will be hunting state forest land in southern Potter County, shots will be within 100 yards most likely. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
24,272 Posts
I have a 50 cal TC ProHunter. I will be shooting the below(290 grain) loaded with 110 grains of BH209. Very accurate out of TC's 1-28 bbls.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think the solid Barnes is a good choice. I shoot their sabotes bullets in a 20 gauge hunting Michigan and have had great success shooting large heavy bucks with them. I have delibertly shot 2 broadside right on the point of the shoulder trying to recover a bullet but it shoots through them every time. Should be good for adequate penetration on a bear. Let us know if you use one how it worked on a bear.

·
Premium Member
24,272 Posts
I have killed quite a few deer with the Barnes' Spit-Fire T-EZ 290 grainers and always got good expansion coupled with complete pass through irregardless of hit(direct shoulder etc). What really impresses me is their consistent accuracy. Hoping to get a crack at a bear this year!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I also have a similar question. My father in law will be letting me use his TC Omega X7 in-line for beer season. He has a bunch of 777 powder that will be coming with it. Looking for a place to start with charges and what weight/projectile to use for bear?

·
Registered
20,882 Posts
777 works well but Blackorn 209 burns much cleaner and you don't have to clean between shots.Anything between 90 and 100 gr would be fine.As far as bullets,Barnes like Loggy mentioned or a shockwave.Any bullet that shoots good will work at that velocity but I'd stay away from powerbelts.It doesn't take a magic bullet to kill a bear.As long as it penetrates and you hit the right spot,you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I'm using Barnes Expander MZ in mine. I've probably killed a dozen or so deer with them over past handful of years and have no complaints. I'd agree with Doug and stay away from powerbelts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Out of my T/C Triumph... 2 pellets of Triple 7 magnums with a 250gr. Barnes T-EZ....Shot a bear at 40 yards with this and it took two steps and took a nap

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm going with my tried and true 300gr XTP in crush ribs over 100gr of 777.
Accurate, hits HARD and DEEP, and extremely budget friendly when sighting in a new rig/scope.

FWIW, Powerbelts get a bad rap because of their 245gr bullet and heavy charges. They're way too light and soft for the speeds they tend to get pushed.
The heavier options 295gr and up actually do perform very well, though I haven't, and wouldn't try them on bear as there are still much better options at a similar price point.
But on deer, if the 295gr+ offerings shoot well for you, they are an effective option, albeit at 2-3x the cost of buying many jacketed bullets and sabots separately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts