The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if someone could clear up a ongoing argument at our camp. Do Pa bears hibernate and if so is it for a long period or just when weather gets extreme? A guy swears he cut fresh bear tracks this week at our camp in Elk county. any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Quite possible, Bears in PA will start their hibernation when food sources diminish...If there is plenty of food around, it will take longer for them to go into hibernation. Bears can "hibernate" I believe for up to 100 days? Maybe I'm wrong , but that's what I recall.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
pa bears dont truley hibernate they do for short periods at a time but they get up and move when the weather turns nice i seen one a couple of days ago when it was putting down snow like crazy.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have pics of a bear on 12/19 on my trail cam. I don't believe that they hibernate until it gets real cold and food becomes scarce.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Last year in the late rabbit season my beagle went in a brush that had a bear hibernating in it as i got her away from the pile two other guy's took pictures of her sound a sleep. In the spring one of the neighbors watched her come out of the brush pile with two cubs.I was told males don't hibernate unless food gets scarce don't really know.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I saw a bear in a tree (wide awake) story on the (Pgh.) TV News the other evening...and it's been cold. I don't recall where the bear was seen and filmed in the tree, but it proves that they will occasionally get up and move about. They don't really "hibernate" like a ground hog - but instead a deep sleep that allows them to sometimes wake up and move around some on warm winter days. I'll be they were moving about a lot last year.

On a side note - when Robbin's Scent Co. (Connelsville) was in business, they had a huge 700-plus pound black bear named Samson that NEVER hibernated because he 'never wanted to miss a meal!' That bear could chug-down a two liter bottle of Coke in seconds...and never burp!

·
Registered
441 Posts
The simple answer is bears don't hibernate. True hibernators sleep through the winter regardless of weather as it is determined by the length of the days much like the rut which is another argument altogether. Bears routinely wake during their "winter sleep" if weather conditions are favorable and food is present. I believe technically speaking groundhogs are Pennsylvanians largest hibernating mammal.

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
we saw tracks on our skid road last week, near zelinople.

i read that a hibernating bears heart only beats 4 times a minute.

·
Registered
400 Posts
went for a 4wheeler ride tonight in the back 20 in sullivan county and cut fresh tracks and they were big and fresh so i followed them for awhile till they went on the neighbors property and into a swamp with rock cliffs on the other side.
might follow up tomorrow when there is more light with camera

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
here is abear i found a few years back while setting mink traps .pic was taken at the beginning of december

i watched this bear den untill late march and in 8 or 9 visits i only witnessed him sleeping once . had a friend who was a wco and a team of pgc officers and biologists came and darted and tug him
. this guy was weighed at about 430 once tranquilized . long story short , i think preganant females and females with previous years cubs are the only ones who stay in the den . many years i have found bears and where bears have moved around at certain times in the winter and spring

·
Registered
71 Posts
eHow
Pets & Animals
Other Animals
Bears
How Do Black Bears Hibernate?

By Rose Kivi, eHow Contributor

Print this article

How Do Black Bears Hibernate? thumbnail
Other People Are Reading

Black Bear Facts for Kids
How Long Do Grizzly Bears Hibernate?

When and Why Black Bears Hibernate

Black bears hibernate during winter months when food sources are low. Seventy-five percent of their diet consists of vegetation that becomes sparse in cold winter months.

Black bears don't actually go into a true hibernation. What they go into is called a torpor. The difference is that an animal in a torpor will wake up if in danger, whereas an animal in hibernation will not. Since black bears do wake up when in danger, it is not a good idea to bother a black bear in torpor.

Black bears do not always go into torpor. Black bears only go into torpor when they live in areas where the weather gets cold and food sources become low. A black bear can go into torpor for as long as 6 months at a time.

Read more: How Do Black Bears Hibernate? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4565737_black-bears-hibernate.html#ixzz2GgFp8OgW

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The bear was filmed in the center of Cranberry at 19 and 228. There was also fresh tracks found (supposedly) in the Wexford Gamelands on Saturday

·
Super Moderator
14,520 Posts
I have seen black bears out moving around during every month of the year including deep winter with lots of snow. It isn’t real common to have one out and about during the deep snows of winter but it doe happen. And, as already posted bears do not really hibernate so they can be aroused from their sleep and leave the den at any time with enough disturbances. That is also why people who find a bear den shouldn’t tell anyone but the WCO where it is.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
R. S. B. said:
I have seen black bears out moving around during every month of the year including deep winter with lots of snow. It isn’t real common to have one out and about during the deep snows of winter but it doe happen. And, as already posted bears do not really hibernate so they can be aroused from their sleep and leave the den at any time with enough disturbances. That is also why people who find a bear den shouldn’t tell anyone but the WCO where it is.

Dick Bodenhorn
and i wouldn't even tell a wco . the last time i did 3 officers , two deputies a few clowns from dallas along with a tv crew showed up . the guy from dallas ,his last name was conway wasn't very pleasant ,including to the land owner who let them on her property

·
Registered
289 Posts

Fresh tracks from today. Clarion county game lands.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts