The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on the PGC facebook page a while back and I was surprised it was not talked about here.
I thought I would post to help get the word out. I hope it posts correctly.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Northcentral Region is still seeking information related to the illegal taking of a black bear that was found near the 1100 block of Montmorenci Road, located in Ridgway Township, in Elk County, on Friday, July 22, 2022.
A group of wildlife enthusiasts and retired game wardens from Asheville, North Carolina, Help Asheville Bears-HAB, has volunteered to provide a $5,000 reward for information that leads to a citation regarding this case. More information about HAB can be found here: Stopping Illegal Poaching in The United States and Canada - Bears with Missing Limbs.
See additional case details in the post below.
May be an image of black bear, outdoors and text that says 'PENNSYLVANIA GAME COMMISSION OGT 1-888-PGC-8001 1-888-PGC-8001 PGC.PA.GOV RATION GAME'

Operation Game Thief, Pennsylvania Game Commission
August 3 at 2:40 PM ·
The Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Northcentral Region is still seeking information related to the illegal taking of a black bear that was found near the 1100 block of Montmorenci Road, located in Ridgway Township, in Elk County, on Friday, July 22, 2022.
A group of wildlife enthusiasts and retired game wardens from Asheville, North Carolina, Help Asheville Bears-HAB, has volunteered to provide a $5,000 reward for information that leads to a citation regarding this case. More information about HAB can be found here: Stopping Illegal Poaching in The United States and Canada - Bears with Missing Limbs.
The state game warden’s investigation suggests the bear was shot in the chest with a small caliber firearm. Evidence suggests the bear likely died in the early morning hours of Friday, July 22.
Anyone with information related to this incident is encouraged to report it to the Pennsylvania Game Commission at 1-833-PGC-WILD or the Operation Game Thief Hotline at 1-888-PGC-8001 or online at http://bit.ly/PGCOGT.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in helping to protect Pennsylvania wildlife!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has had a lot of local publicity and has been a significant topic of local conversation. Some one knows who did it and with the amount of reward it just might land someone in some pretty deep hot water.

Dick Bodenhorn
I hope they catch them. I will be spreading the word in the area

·
Registered
Ravin R9
7,360 Posts
This has had a lot of local publicity and has been a significant topic of local conversation. Some one knows who did it and with the amount of reward it just might land someone in some pretty deep hot water.

Dick Bodenhorn
I sure hope so but would rather them use Hot Oil 😡

·
Super Moderator
9,150 Posts
Lots of bears get shot off of porches, out of garbage cans, and from bird feeders. People get sick of dealing with them, so they shoot them with small calibers hoping to just sting them and keep them away. A lot of them run off and die. It's a sad fact, but nonetheless a fact.
Over the years, I knew of several old beekeepers who dealt with bears this way.

It’s frustrating to loose thousands of dollars in one night….that’s why I always use electric fencing. PGC has been out twice here to trap a bear that wouldn‘t leave. One of them tore the doors of my shed where I store all my unused bee boxes and gear. I reset the doors, and attached two long 2x6s across them to reinforce. Set up a trail cam. Bear came back the next night, spent almost an hour trying to get in.

·
Super Moderator
15,231 Posts
This was along a busy highway with houses in close proximity so it wasn't shot by someone just out riding around looking for something to shoot. Nor are there any crop fields in the area to cause one to think it might have been shot for crop damage. Where the bullet passed through it, the lungs, it would have died within just a few hundred yards of where it died.

No one in that immediate area had called to report bear problems in the recent period before the bear was shot. No one called to report an incident with a bear after it was shot either.

It was someone in pretty close proximity to where it was found dead. I rather suspect they intended to kill the bear out right and dispose of it without anyone ever knowing about it, but the bear ran off after the shot and died a few hundred yards from where it was shot.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
My dad one year built some blue bird houses. I think it was three of them to put up around camp. He had it that he could mount them on a small diameter pipe. e had them up several years and started to get them to nest there. Then one weekend we went up and whle I was putting stuff away , he had me come outside and pointed to two of them. The bear got after them and tore them apart. We found the dead mother and what ws left of her eggs.

·
Registered
30,120 Posts
People put bird feeders out and complain when the bears come into their yard and rip them down. News flash. If you leave bird seed, humming bird nectar, food scraps or garbage out in bear country, guess what, a bear will show up and be very destructive. Just an assumption if there are houses around and no farming in the area.
no bears here but i did have a raccoon raiding our hummingbird feeder and the grape jelly out of the oriole feeder. i thought that was cute until mommy and daddy raccoon brought the 4 little ones with them 🤣

now we dont have the hummingbird feeders or the oriole feeder, we also dont have the raccoons anymore. i wouldnt mind them except they carry rabies and i dont feel like finding out which ones may or may not have it if i forget to wear gloves when dealing with the feeders. i dont know if i can get disease from dried saliva or not and didnt want to find out so we pulled the feeders. (y)

·
Registered
376 Posts
People put bird feeders out and complain when the bears come into their yard and rip them down. News flash. If you leave bird seed, humming bird nectar, food scraps or garbage out in bear country, guess what, a bear will show up and be very destructive. Just an assumption if there are houses around and no farming in the area.
I heard about a guy last year who fed bears in his yard... bird seed i believe. One day the guy let his dog out and a few minutes later the dog came running back to the porch with a big bear chasing right behind him. The guy slammed the door shut on his dog so that the bear didn’t get inside. Dog was dead in few short seconds .. I heard it was quite a gruesome scene. Can’t imagine seeing that. From what I understand, this happens more often than you’d think.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I can only imagine what

I can understand their frustrations but their frustration is with the law, not the Game Wardens.
No he fights with the game wardens and they just take it. Screams, calls them whatever name he wants, pokes them in the chest yelling. They keep their cool, I don’t understand it. I think they are scared of him. They close their traps because maybe have a day off and can’t relocate them. He will just re set them

1 - 20 of 29 Posts