The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game commission approved 17-18 hunting seasons which included bear, deer and turkey being in from Oct 30th to Nov 4th for archery. Seeing how I can no longer pull a compound bow, guess it's time for a crossbow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
First time in a long time I will take a vacation that early. Learned about 5 years ago no sense in burning vacation for archery deer.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
They (PGC) couldn't stand to stop ALL doe shooting in 5A first week so they added a loop hole in there for DMAPS permits. Well at least it's some improvement.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
It is not a loop hole for 5A that is the way it is across the state. You can shoot does the first week in any WMU the first week with a DMAP permit.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Now I'm torn. I would have taken off a couple days in the last week to get the best rut action. But, I'm really tempted to be able to get a bear as well. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I'm torn. I would have taken off a couple days in the last week to get the best rut action. But, I'm really tempted to be able to get a bear as well. Hmmmm.
I think it depends on how you like to hunt archery deer, are you a purest or just an archer that likes to hunts, not judging either groups. I know a lot of archery hunter in the latter category, they normally just hunt bear rifle season with us, but are now going to hunt the archery season also. They already are talking about putting a gang together for the archery season, just like we do for rifle, and it looks like it will happen. Bottom line is, I think there will be a lot more hunters in the woods carrying archery gear, the week of Oct 30th to Nov 4th then normal, and most will be using the same tactics they use in bear rifle season. The big difference will be they also now will be harvesting deer. God willing I will be among them.
Will this season increases the license sales, increases harvest totals, and changes the rut in any way? The proof will be in the pudding.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
90 Posts
It is not a loop hole for 5A that is the way it is across the state. You can shoot does the first week in any WMU the first week with a DMAP permit.
But they added 3000 doe tags to 5A......Tell me how that makes sense, I see plenty of doe where i hunt in 5a.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
What does adding 3000 doe licenses have to do with using a DMAP permit the first week ? the 3000 licenses added make up for the loss of 5 days of doe hunting, so they can take approximately the same amount of doe as a 2 week season did with less tags.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
I think it depends on how you like to hunt archery deer, are you a purest or just an archer that likes to hunts, not judging either groups. I know a lot of archery hunter in the latter category, they normally just hunt bear rifle season with us, but are now going to hunt the archery season also. They already are talking about putting a gang together for the archery season, just like we do for rifle, and it looks like it will happen. Bottom line is, I think there will be a lot more hunters in the woods carrying archery gear, the week of Oct 30th to Nov 4th then normal, and most will be using the same tactics they use in bear rifle season. The big difference will be they also now will be harvesting deer. God willing I will be among them.
Will this season increases the license sales, increases harvest totals, and changes the rut in any way? The proof will be in the pudding.
i think you will see an increase in Archery permits. an increase in crossbow sales. and the "new" archery bear hunters driving bear in the same areas as they do for rifle season.

as an added bonus they will also be able to shoot the buck and doe they push on those drives also.

just be prepared for the ticks, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think you will see an increase in Archery permits. an increase in crossbow sales. and the "new" archery bear hunters driving bear in the same areas as they do for rifle season.

as an added bonus they will also be able to shoot the buck and doe they push on those drives also.

just be prepared for the ticks, be safe and have fun.
Completey agree, even about the ticks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What does adding 3000 doe licenses have to do with using a DMAP permit the first week ? the 3000 licenses added make up for the loss of 5 days of doe hunting, so they can take approximately the same amount of doe as a 2 week season did with less tags.
I quoted the wrong post, as of last year 5a only had 2 dmap areas, the way the poster was talking that there was a lack of doe in 5a, In my area i hunt and comute to work(pretty much end to end of southern 5a) i see no lack of deer...

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
My crew has always taken the last week of archery off to hunt, now we will take the week before!! Can't Wait!!!!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I think it's great for hunters and hopefully doesn't hurt the bear population. Doubt it will. Additional PGC revenue too.

I see bear quite a bit. Get one in range about once every 3 seasons. I really have little desire to shoot one but I will get a tag every year. A big one and a downhill drag to the truck would be tempting. Time will tell.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
My camp takes the whole last week of archery off to hunt. This year it will be the week before.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts