The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone felt on shooting bear cubs. I myself am only 18 and have only been bear hunting for about 4 years and have never seen a bear while hunting them. I would extremely excited and blessed to even see one but I don't know if I would feel right shooting a 50 lb bear. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
242 Posts
A bear is a bear in my eyes. When they come flying through the woods is hard to tell how big they are unless 250 plus. If a 50 pounder was to come strolling through I would not hesitate. I have taken 2 pa bear 140 and 363 both field dressed. You will hear guys say stuff but just smile away you took a PA black bear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of I feel but I'm not sure... A bear in pa is a once in a lifetime opportunity unless you are driving them with a lot of people but we don't do that. I would probably shoot it cus it is hard to tell how big they are but I wouldn't know how I felt about until after

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
To each their own, but my opinon is my signature. If it can fit in an 8 gallon bucket let it alone.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Get out the popcorn.....

Gonna be a good one!

Oh yeah, my opinion....BANG!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Just gonna say it now, as long as this thread remains civil it will stay. Joe W, this has been a subject of some very heated debates over the years. Each side has presented some great points but the fact is every situation is unique. What I may deem acceptable may not fly with others.

Truth is that harvesting cubs may not be a popular choice, however it is a legal activity and I will not begrudge or harrass another hunter who chooses to do so.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
When I started out hunting I would have taken any legal bear but now that I've gotten a few I would not shoot a cub.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I wont knowingly shoot a cub...

But like was said, ive seen 2 bears in my life...i cant judge a bear unless it was with others...or something i could judge it on..

I also hunt by drives and it is a real rare occasion that i sit...so bears i may see arent going to sit still and let me study them...

I wont bash anyone for shooting anything legal...my crew killed 2 cubs a couple years ago...47 and 83lbs i think...sow and boar...their sow got shot earlier that day and were wandering around lost...i was glad the 2 guys down the line got them and i didnt...just my feelings...i shot a coyote later that day and it was longer than them...i dont wanna shoot a cub...but i know it may happen with how i hunt...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Like others said it is hard to tell while there running full boar through the woods. Like Mauser im usually one of the guys walking so if I see a bear and able to make a SAFE shot I wouldnt hesitate on a smaller bear. Reason for expressing the safe is just be extremely cautious and dont let the excitment of seeing one overcome the safety of others you may be hunting with. I had to make this decision last year which was really tough especially being the first time in 8 years that I have seen a bear while hunting for them but knew I had standers straight ahead I didnt take the shot. Be safe have fun and good luck to you.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Early in my hunting career I would not hesitate to shoot anything that was legal. Now I choose to shoot when and if I want to. I would never hold anyone else to that standard, just as I wouldn't want anyone bashing me for not shooting if I had the chance to. Pulling the trigger is always a choice.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
If I can tell for sure its a cub, personally, I would pass. But, I'm not going to look down my nose at anyone who legally and ethically harvests any bear.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If it was my first bear, I'd proudly shoot away! Shooting any PA bear is a great accomplishment, don't ever let anyone take that away from you. I already have one under my belt, so now I'm looking for a big one for a rug.

·
Banned
491 Posts
I have been hunting bear for 10 years. On my first outing, I had an opportunity with a sow and 2 cubs. I took aim and missed the sow. Both of the cubs were taken in the melee that followed. Both were just under 100 lbs. It can be tough judging size even with a sow to reference. I would have thought them smaller.

To answer the question - I havent taken a black bear, and because of the rules we hunt by, I would consider any sized PA Black Bear a trophy - like a previous poster said - BANG>

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have missed only 2 bear seasons since 1979. Have never harvested one, have never shot at one and have never seen one during the season. They are a difficult animal to judge the size until they get big. If i believe it is a first year cub, I wont. Just me. it is legal to harvest. I guess to me it is the issue of will the cub survive the winter if its momma was kilt

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Sorry, but if a bear is the size of my German Shepherd, I'm not going to shoot it. It may be a trophy in another persons eyes, and I would not hold it against them since it is a legal bear, but it would not be something I would shoot.

I actually passed on a nice sow bear last year because she had two cubs following right behind her. Half my friends said I did the right thing while the other half said I should have shot the mother, as the cubs would have lived.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No baby bears for me. I'd rather not shoot any at all. It just isn't that important to me. Although, we even thought the 170lber that one of my guys took last year was kinda small. The 500lber behind us at the check station didn't help the cause. There was a 26lber listed on the check sheet that made us all feel better.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would say it is the same as taking a yearling deer...some pass, some don't. I wouldnt knowingly shoot a yearling deer. Now running through the woods, sometimes it's hard to judge the size. The same with a bear cub. Let them grow one more year and you will have yourself a trophy.

I think it is harder to refrain from squeezing that trigger than it is to squeeze.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
About 20 years ago a relative killed a sow at our place on the first morning. A neighbor killed her one and only cub a couple hours later. He weighed 125lbs dressed. Who wouldn't shoot him? He's still a cub. Shoot what makes you happy and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Do you pass up all yearling deer, young hens in the fall or jakes?

·
Registered
200 Posts
To expand upon that 125 pound dressed cub, my bear was a 16 year old female, she was estimated live at 190lbs. Good luck telling the difference as they run through the woods!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts