The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a friend who heard from a relative that bear tracks were found in the snow at the Wexford gamelands. I told him he's nuts but could there be any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Possibly, There was a bear sighting in Cranberry on Friday night. Wexford Gamelands Is great cover for a bear

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Maybe it's not so far fetched then. I would think all the pressure would drive a bear out of the gamelands though. Perhaps just passing thru.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The one that was caught in north park was released there. It was a little foolish in my eyes to release a nuisance bear in another residential area, but they did. I know the people involved.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Buttonbuckslayer said:
The one that was caught in north park was released there. It was a little foolish in my eyes to release a nuisance bear in another residential area, but they did. I know the people involved.
I know the WCO personally and I can assure you that the bear caught in north park was not released in the wexford gamelands....

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Buttonbuckslayer said:
What were their names?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
GIE said:
Buttonbuckslayer said:
What were their names?
Considering in the 2B bears thread he claimed it was a Game Commissioner that decided to release it at the Wexford game lands. I doubt he knows a name or will even respond.

·
Registered
200 Posts
"I doubt he knows a name or will even respond"? Grow up buddy! No need to be disrespectful, and act like children. With an attitude like that, I'm not even going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise, Im sure it would be impossible. For anyone else who would like to know about the bear, it was supposed to go southeast, but a decision was made to release it on the gamelands. I would imagine the man in charge soon realized it was a bad decision, and would rather it be forgotten. No, I will not put the name of my source on the Internet, so that RWJ can run back to his Wco buddy and cause problems for them. I know the world is full of storytellers, but my source, who was involved, has never proven to be one. It's probably irrelevant anyway, that bear was probably off of the game lands by the start of small game season. It may have been back in North park within days of its relocation. I hunt the sorounding area often, and have heard of other bear sightings over the last several years. I'm sure one will be shot there soon.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
The bear would be easy to identify with the tags in its ear. Every bear caught is tagged and recorded, also GPS coordinates of where it was released is entered. The Bear was not released in the Wexford game lands. and whoever told you that told you a story.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
there was a bear sighted in Ohara twp two weeks ago as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I find it odd more and more bears are popping up down that way. I personally believe the pgc is dropping more bears down there then people think. Think bout it why would a bear pass up all the other food that's easy to get to go all the way down there?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
gearhart15 said:
I find it odd more and more bears are popping up down that way. I personally believe the pgc is dropping more bears down there then people think. Think bout it why would a bear pass up all the other food that's easy to get to go all the way down there?
Look up bears and what young males do when the sow kicks them out. Educate yourself before you make silly claims.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Another - maybe 200 pounder got hit and killed on Route 28 between exits 15 and 16 on Thursday 12/20/12.

There are quite a few bears staying in 2B these days.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
From the article.....

The bear was transported to Indiana County where it was released. However, there are other bears in the area to be aware of.

“I do think the population is increasing. I think we have bears moving in from Butler County, Armstrong County, Westmoreland County,” Puhala said.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TrophyHunter11 said:
Another - maybe 200 pounder got hit and killed on Route 28 between exits 15 and 16 on Thursday 12/20/12.

There are quite a few bears staying in 2B these days.
I saw this bear on my way to work but was not quite sure it was a bear. Saw something black with 2 trucks parked behind it.
I hunt 2 miles from there and we do indeed have bears around. At least 4 have been seen in the last year where I hunt. They don't seem to stick around though.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
There was a bear hit last year along I-279 just north of the Camp Horne Road exit. (I saw it myself on the way home from church on a Sunday morning. I was very surprised.)

So, it would not be far fetched at all to think that there could be a bear residing in the Wexford gamelands. There is some seriously thick cover in that area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts