The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on planting a mix of this sort in the small plot behind my home where I had my kiss my brassica plot this past fall. The brassicas are all gone and the bulbs are all dug up. Its a clean sheet of paper with very few weeds for now. I plan on liming it, spraying it in early may, then planting the bean,pea,sunflower mix ten days later. I am looking at Power Plant, Biologic Biomass, Rackmaster Deluxe mix, or just buying a la cart. Any thoughts suggestions?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ala carte, if it were me.

I think I'm gonna go to the Agway and get a 50 lb bag of black oil sunflowers and mix it with some soybeans from my buddy and that will give me a summer plot, and not real expensive.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
turkey4life said:
im gonna plant beans and peas for my summer plot. if I had equipment and more area I would ad sunflowers to the mix.
Now where'd you say that plot is again?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turkey-Why would you need more equipment and area to add sunflowers? Dutch-what is a good ratio for the mix?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Heck if I know. I use a mixing technique that is very unique to me. It's called, "By guess and by golly that worked."

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ain't failed you yet, has it? LOL

I'd guess 30 lbs per acre of soys, and as far as the sunflowers, put down enough so that it looks "right, then disc then both in. Add some nitrogen for a fast start for both and it should work.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I used Biologic Biomass last year. Came in great. The destroyed the beans, peas, and sunflowers (especially the sunflowers) but didn't touch the sorgumn. I'm going with what Dutch is going, just sunflowers and beans.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I planted sunflowers in a mix with lablab and buckwheat one year. The deer didn't bother the sunflowers too much but they sure did look pretty.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'll have to get pic's loaded up from my other computer. I had about 2 acres of the biomass and there wasn't one leaf on any of my sunflowers. They seem to really like them up here in Potter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Last year I planted a small plot with Power Plant. It grew well (though I never saw a single sunflower). In mid October, the deer were crazy for the sorghum. By the 3rd week of October, the plot was eaten to the dirt.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I'm tired of trying different things and the deer don't eat it. Down here in Lehigh County, it's clover, soybeans and this year I'm going to plant some corn. Tried turnip and oats plus other mixes and the deer won't look at it. I had over 20 turkey eating in my soybeans filed after the snow melted.

In tioga county NY, it's clover, soybeans and brassica, this year I'll try corn up there also. This year I'll be planting four different one acre fields of soybeans, planting brassica in the soybeans in late summer/early fall, works good for me. Might try brassica in the corn this year, especially if I don't get a good corn crop.

I need to put some cereal grains in my crop rotation, last year I had over two acres of bare field until I planted some brassica.

Tried planting some brassica early last year, it didn't work out. It matured and all the turnips rotted before the deer got to them. All they ate was the dwarf essex rape, tops are the turips are laying over on the ground, rotted just like the bulbs.

Did any of you fellows ever plant oats in the spring, mow it after it goes to seed and get a second crop of oats?

Bought an 8 ft lime drop spreader this year, only $450. It cost me $200 a ton for pellet lime, so it should pay for itself this year. Got a price for bulk lime in Owego, $52 a ton, the truck holds 13 tons and $1.80 a mile round trip. Seems there is no lime quarries up there, both listed on the internet are in PA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts