The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out 4 beagles this morning,they ran 3 rabbits. Did'nt get any
I then took them to an overgrown field with some small trees in the middle and one dog opens up and off they go. Except daisy comes back
They circle it ,but I don't see it .They go around again ( a big swampy area ) but go out of hearing
, and daisy is by my side
I walk for 30 min. and find the other 3 beagles 1/4 mile away.
I know grey fox circle ;do coyote ? I need A garmin astro ASAP !

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The Garmin is an absolute great tool.
I love mine.

I am no fox expert but in my experience, a gray will run fairly tigh but a red will get up and go.
Any chance it was a red ???

John L

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could have been a red fox;but whatever it was it ran about a 150 yds. and circled right by me but I never seen what it was.Then it ran about half the same circle again and then the dogs went out of hearing. When Daisy came back to me and the dogs circled it the first time I thought that was strange,I was sure it was a rabbit.I talked to a neighbor as I was leaving and she said she saw 2 fox pups last fall;did'nt say if they were red or grey.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I like running fox almost as much as rabbits.(the season is longer and you can hunt 'em on Sunday)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Are you positive it wasn't a rabbit? I've had my dogs go out of hearing for what seemed like a few hundred yards and I swore they were on a deer which is unusual. Sure enough I was wrong and after a few minutes I could hear them again and it ended up being a rabbit after all.

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
I grew up running foxhounds with my dad. Now all we run are beagles on cottontail/hare. We ran mostly walkers with an occasional bluetick or redbone. However we've had a couple beagles that could pound the butt off a grey fox. Typically a grey will run circles in heavy cover almost like a cottontail. Reds will pull out and cover alot of ground. Coyote usually turn and eat the beagle
. We once caught hounds seven miles from where they started a coyote. Talk about a long chase.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
sounds like a shoe but I am not an expert. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Had a Gray out Saturday and it stayed in about an acre area. also had a coyote out and the dogs were 2.5 mile at one point. We have had them as much as 3 miles out on a coyote. Typically a Gray will stay in the cover of woods and in a small area a red will travel some but a coyote you never know how far they will go like the energizer bunny going going and gone LOL. If your dogs can pick up and run a coyote I would suggest the Garmin 220 it could save you a long night in the woods trying to recover dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts