The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took 5 beagles today to the poconos .Ran a hare for 25 min.The hare Didn't leave a 1oo yd area .I was trying to get a pic and did not see it. Dogs did good for first time in 2 ft of snow. They were swimming up to their eyeballs
I don't have snowshoes and it was up to my knees

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to go this morning at the last minute. I didn't know they had 2 ft.of snow .There were 2 trucks stuck in the median near blakeslee.One was on its side,and the other was a tandem. Must have been nasty friday morning on rt. 80.It will be a while till the snow melts up there.The hare was sinking six inches into the snow ;so you know the dogs were crawling.
Once they jumped it though ;they moved fairly well for the conditions. On the way home I stopped along old state rd. in leb co. The dogs barked in one brush pile a little, right aside of the creek, but the rabbit must have been in a hole.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That is awesome, I went yesterday also. We ran cottontails and and not nearly that much snow. A foot of fresh wet snow, found a couple rabbits that wanted to run. It was real hard on the dogs but they got er done. I could have shot 2 after a couple of circles.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the dogs were chasing a female hare because it made small circles and it only left the thick laurel after the dogs kept pressure on it for 20 minutes.I'd like to run them again soon in the deep snow ,Keeps them in shape for sure. It's amazing they can even move in 2 ft. of snow at all. In some spots it was 4 or 5 in. above my knees and I have long legs.I think if it was colder the dogs would have kept it going longer; temps were close to 40 Degrees.I forgot this pic : my favorite

·
Registered
719 Posts
Great pics. Looks like a perfect way to spend a late winter day. It's almost as much fun scouting/running hare as it is hunting them.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are correct lawdog! I missed this yr snowshoe season so I thought I'd run for fun. I 've only ever shot 2 in my life in PA. Bad luck I guess; Always at the wrong place at the wrong time. I met a guy crosscountry skiing when I was walking in ; When I told him I drove 100 miles just to run my beagles on hare he gave me a funny look! I drive 30 miles to harrisburg everyday so this a stress relief for me.It was a beautiful day and on the way home I saw a bunch of turkeys feeding in someone's yard. I told my wife I want to move to that area .Then I could run hare a lot more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts